Thursday, May 15, 2008

The biggest problem with these pants is the awful job I did ironing them. If you look at the little fold at the peak of the bum, that is where my crease should line up and end and now does. The front crease is askew also, too far out to the sides. That' what I get for being too eager. The pants have since been pressed properly and they look much better. DH and I have spent nearly every daylight moment of the past two days outside, covered with dirt, gardening. So after today's gardening, I decided to just post the pants as is. You can get an idea of the fit anyway.

My fit is not perfect but I think before I left for MA it was closer. Seems this fabric has a tendency to sag a wee bit. The hemline that I have used on every pair of pants that I have made for the past two years is now slobbering around my insteps. When I got home and tried on the pants for the photos I couldn't believe how much longer they were. That is one part I haven't fixed yet but certainly will.

The pants FEEL great. The fabric is a blend of rayon and linen and apparently rather unstable. I do like the look however with its slubs. It drapes beautifully, but just a little too much. This fabric is VERY heavy. If you can imagine a woven slinky with the texture of linen, this is it. The lining is an anti static poly that is a first for me. I really generally dislike intensely any kind of poly lining but thought I would give this one a try. I didn't do a separate lining, choosing instead to underline and serge the seams. I thought that would give some strength to this really ravelly fabric.

These pants have no details. My knee to waist area doesn't need any further emphasis. But I did topstitch the waistband and the front darts. I basically topstitched down the seam of the dart, then turned and headed back the other way, making it a little box effect. If you have read this blog fairly often you have probably figured out I can't leave things alone. So that little dart topstitching was my ode to further embellishment. Not much, but my ode.

DD gave me the top I have on. I love it and it is put together in a very interesting way that I can't wait to try. The back is turned and topstitched at the neckline. Two fronts are cut and then seamed at the front neckline only. The neckline is trimmed. The shoulder seams of the double front are now wrapped around the back should seam and stitched. This is then turned and the back is secured within the two fronts at the shoulder seam. This gives a really pretty finish to the neckline IMO. I can't wait to try this technique. The top is a J.Jill.

Tonite's parting lace shot:
This is a Swiss embroidery about 9-10 inches wide. I have about 2 yards. It is really lovely and in perfect condition. Based on what I know about this piece it is from between the 30's an 50's. ....Bunny

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous lace on the linen!!! I'm amazed at what pristine condition your laces and linens are in! Just beautiful! I love your pants, too. I'm sorry that you had some issues with the fabric but I can't tell from the picture. Perhaps washing will snap it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pants comments.
    I lugged this laces around in a plastic bag/box for years and even bleached them in my early years of ownership. A MAJOR WAY TO RUIN YOUR LACES! I have since learned thru my heirloom friends how to care for them and they are in healthy shape now. Otherwise I think I would have eventually rotted them out.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary: