Saturday, September 6, 2008
Time to Count the Pleats!
I finally got my christening gown all pleated. Whew, was that nerve racking! You can see it here with the pleats waiting to be counted and spread out properly, and then blocked.
Dear blogger, Martha, of Southern Matriarch, and heirloom sewista extraordinaire, commented the other day that I should not baste the lace overlay to the dress before pleating. Now, you need to know that every book I have read says to do that. Martha, with her great wisdom and experience, told me to feed it thru without basting. I told her I would give it a try my way first. Well, dear Martha was so right. I had Y pleats all over the place. I also was not happy with the placement of the lace on the dress. I really wanted a deeper lace ruffle and had seen something I liked in an As&E book. So my problem became an opportunity to get it right the way I wanted it to be. I moved the lace down about an inch and a half and then stitched it with heirloom (very fine) thread to the dress. Then I fed it all through the pleater. I really like the way it looks now.
Next came the choice of the threads. I wanted a slight hint of color. I decided on DMC 225, a very pale shell pink. There will be lots of texture in this stitching and I did not want to lose that in a total matchup of fabric and thread or a big contrast either. And, since it is for a little girl, just a slight hint of pink will be lovely.
Right now it has the pleats counted, has been sprayed with spray starch, blocked on the board, and will be ready to stitch in the AM once dry. I will be taking this on the road to work with me to get it done by the October baby delivery. That shouldn't be a problem.....................Bunny