Friday, January 23, 2009
Miss Lily's Ensemble Completed!
I finished the handwork on everything today and got it beautifully pressed with my new Rowenta! First we have the bishop which is a pattern from AS&E called "Beginnings." The pattern includes the plate and as always for AS&E, has incredible instructions. The fabric is a fine handkerchief linen. The thread is DMC in a soft yellow and soft pink and green. The dress buttons up the full length of the back with a cut on facing. My old Kenmore did a lovely job of making really fine buttonholes. I like how I can adjust the width and length of the actual stitch so easily on that machine.
Next we have the slip which is also of the same hanky linen and finished with a shell stitched edge. The hem is scalloped as well.
The closure is a small piece of velcro "fusions" on one of the shoulders. I really like this product for childrens clothing. It is soft and very durable. And you just iron it on! I always make sure I clip all corners so there are not sharp edges to snag baby's soft skin.
And last but not least is the little summer jacket to go over the bishop. It is made from cotton matelasse. The collar and seams are bound with 100% cotton seersucker in the same shade. Bullion roses are embroidered on the back and the front of the collar. In a nod to Ralph Rucci, yellow bullions were embroidered on the top of the back pleat as well. The button on the front has been stitched on with a bullion too!
My next project is a funky belt for which I made the muslin today. I hope to get it together tomorrow and pics right after. It is really cool......Bunny