Sewing Vloggers

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Grey Gardens

I know there is quite a resemblance, but no, that is not me in my latest "ouvre". Tonight DH and I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Grey Gardens on HBO with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange . Drew is wearing the fur coat. It was wonderful. The acting was as incredible as you can imaginefrom these two. The makeup was truly the best I have ever seen in a movie. To see these two women decline physically and financially was near spellbinding. Barrymore's 50 year old arms truly looked like 50 year old unshaved arms. I read she was coated with cheese to get the look. And yes, that is Jessica Lange sitting behind her. The stuff of Academy awards.

The reason I share all this here is because the fashions, from their youth and wealthier times, were just fabulous, as this cute little striped number shows. There were lots of great hats and designer clothing. I really enjoyed this visually. It was one fashion feast after another as they went thru their primes.

If you get the chance to see it on a repeat, please do. I am glad we DVR'd it for posterity. You will love the clothes. You will be enamored of Big Edie and Little Edie. In the mean time check out this link to a great interview with the movie's costume designer.There are more fashion photos we well. ......Bunny

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I wish we had HBO to see it. I have wanted to see the show on Broadway as well, ever since reading about them. There was a great article about them a few years ago in Vanity Fair and it really captured my interest. I will be watching for this on DVD. Thanks for the review Bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seen this movie tonight on HBO. I loved it. It is a must see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of that movie...and we don't have HBO (what ever that is..lol). But I am sure my daughters will be able to "obtain" it somehow. It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, darn it, I missed it! It looks fabulous, and your positive review means I have to find it for sure. I felt the same way about the costumes in Titanic...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know this movie (or HBO) either, thanks for the pictures and info. Did a quick check and see that it's only released this weekend. Will take a bit of time before it's here in the cinema or on dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bunny!
    We have HBO for bit yet, AND we opted for DVR upgrade, so I'm going to look for a repeat to record. Only problem is, I'm accumulating so many shows/movies that I won't live long enough to watch them all. Thats okay though, they can keep my fabric stash company!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...