Sewing Vloggers

Monday, August 2, 2010

Simp 2357, The Pendleton Bag

I have jumped to winter sewing! I have been taken by Simplicity 2357 since I first saw this pattern, specifically the View A Bag. I didn't want this to look like it was made at a quilting seminar. Quilting fabrics, like the one shown on the pattern, can be great fun but I wanted something more substantial.  I thought maybe some of those Pendleton woolens from Ima could work. My current very cold weather coat is grey cashmere and these plaids should work nicely.
I have already made a couple of changes to the directions. Would you believe no interfacing is called for in this pattern? That sure needed to be changed. The bag is totally interfaced with a fusible fleece. It gives the wool the little extra oomph it needs and adds stability to the bag. I am still on the fence with the "dragon fins". I made one set of the points and am just not happy. The points don't turn sharply due to the bulk of the wool. Today I will play with a couple of other ideas. One is the old "prairie points" technique where is square is folded to to make triangle that rides over the next triangle, and the next, and the next, ad nauseum. I have seen this referred to in fashion text as origami. The other option is a pleated insert. That would be in keeping with the kilt look of it all. Experiments to be done! Do you see the fringe in the fabric above? One of the fabrics was a kilt that Ima gave me that I took apart and pressed. It came apart beautifully. Authentic kilts are one long length of wool and have a LOT of fabric in them.

The lining for this bag had me in a quandary. I wanted something substantial and a solid color. I usually interface my linings with weft insertion for bulk. This time I chose some Kasha lining I had in the stash. That is that heavy, luxurious lining you see in fur garments and better woolen coats. The color is a taupe and works well.

I have major house guests arriving for the week so I am not sure how much I will get done at this point. May be a few days till we meet again......Bunny

6 comments:

  1. One of these days I will make a bag, I swear. I've also jumped into sewing for the next season, and happily it actually makes me (a little bit) excited for school to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so gorgeous in your Vogue 1091 dress.
    I also wanted to let you know that I've got some pics up on my blog from the photo shoot of the retro-looking skirt I just made along with a quick and easy tutorial of how to make one in under 25 minutes with just leftover material and no pattern. Come by and see if you get a chance.

    Trudy of Sewing With Trudyhttp://sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com/2010/08/photo-shoot-of-retro-skirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunny - this will look smashing with your grey coat. It's fun to have guests and a break in sewing, but it's also fun to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very interested in your purse project. Please continue to share the details of your process.

    PS Love the coat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Gorgeous Bag - and I love the bottles in the trees - now I may have to embark on a Pendleton fabric kick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm itching to start sewing for fall too, I love fall clothes far more than summer clothes...

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...