Friday, November 19, 2010

I Didn't Think These Up!

That's right. I can't take any credit whatsoever for the two great tips I am going to pass along. The first tip was passed along to me, via her blog, by my sewing buddy, Sara Norris of Sara Norris LTD. I have been eternally grateful ever since I first read this tip of hers some months ago. Its about time we all know her secret to a sparkling iron! May I present:

Yup, you know him - Mr. Clean. You may have even tried his new product:
This is Sara's miracle product. IT CLEANS IRONS! And I don't mean with smoky fumes, or with lots of rubbing. You just wipe that eraser sponge over the iron a few times, while it is cool, and voila, Sparkling!!!Thanks so much Sara. As I said, I will be forever grateful. And its a lot cheaper than that Rowenta toothpaste!

Great idea number two is not my brainchild either. I have taken to taping Fons and Porter lately. I probably just delete most of the shows, but did manage to watch a full one the other day. At the end of their program is always a "tips" section with usually some pretty clever ideas. I loved this one:

On top you can see how I store my sewing needles. They are in a little plastic box and I try to maintain some sort of order. They inevitably mix up and fall out of the box all of which drives me bonkers. Below you see a days of the week pill box. If you have elderly parents, you know these well. Well, one of F&P's viewers figured that you could put Schmetz needles in one of these. Brilliant. So here is my attempt.

Its pretty obvious I passed a sheet of solid label paper thru the printer and Word and then stuck them on each day of the week. I think this is a pretty cool tip. I have this right near my sewing machine now. Thank you Fons and Porter. Now, if you are going to try this, you really need to bring your Schmetz needle cases to the drugstore with you. While the needles fit this case, I can't stack them very deep, because of the blue tabs you push to spring up the lid. This whole endeavor cost me all of  $4.59.

Do you have any really neat, clever tricks up your sleeve that you may have picked up in the blogosphere, on TV, or even from your very wise Mom? If so, please share in your comments. Thanks!

******************************************************************************

My first bag should be finished tomorrow. The lining is cut and fused and ready to go. I can't wait to start bag number two! It will be Vogue 8609 and I may make View A, the plaid, with one of my Pendleton's and some very heavy faux suede.Lata....Bunny

20 comments:

  1. Great tips. That Mr. Clean sponge is a miracle worker, I use it for everything but never thought to try it on the iron. THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tip about cleaning the iron is wonderful! Thank-you! I always gag from the fumes of cleaning a hot iron with (love your name for it) "toothpaste". And it seems that whenever I fuse lots of interfacing, despite presscloths and my best efforts - the iron is always gummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunny - I'm going to remember both of those tips because they are so helpful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just did some fusing with my Singer press today and I bet those sponges will clean it, too. Thanks for both these tips. Ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Clean sounds like magic! I love making bags and love the ones in your pic, curious abt the one you made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bunny, Bunny, Bunnny....elderly parents...is that what I have become. I have four of those boxes...three for daytime pills, and I prepare three weeks at a time, and one for nighttime pills. Oh, my, Oh, me, I feel so bad...or is it old???? Or Just, Plain Fat and Unhealthy??? and need all those pills for lets see--Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Fluid Retention, Keeping the blood thinner, memory, Good Bones...Yipper, I've turned into my parents???? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thank you!! I love the needle tip! Or, should I say the tip for the needles. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "elderly parents" LOL Who you calling "elderly"??? I have one exactly like that!!! Never even thought to put anything but drugs in it.

    Loved your tips on sewing the faux leather. I have several pieces of it, just draped over my quilt rack, because I've been too afraid to even THINK about working with it. (they were gifted to me) I may get brave after all your tips.

    Hope your lungs are clearing. Cough-Cough-Deep Breaths!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tips! My iron is always in need of cleaning. I will try the Magic eraser today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thanks! I have those magic erasers upstairs and downstairs in the laundry room. Need to clean the iron, and today I'll try this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to clean my iron! thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all I am a new reader of your blog, and I just love it!
    I store my needles and my sewing machine feet in plastic embroidery floss organizers ...which works well for me.
    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to buy an Magic Eraser today to try it out. Thanks!

    But that elderly parents comment, sheesh! I use those pill holders. They really save a lot of time,

    ReplyDelete
  14. I clearly have struck a nerve here and I am so sorry. Taking care of my deceased Mom was a very intense period for me that I know some of your are going thru now with your parents. Maintaining her pillbox was one of my duties, one I only wish I could do for her today. It is the only experience I have had with a pill box so that's where my thoughts came from. Hope you all take this in good faith and enjoy the tips too. It probably won't be long before I have my own pill box, one without needles, at the rate I am going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad that you are doing well and sewing again. Thanks for the tip about cleaning the iron. That was on my list of things to do today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not only would they be great for needles, but I think the very large pill holders might also be good for storing presser feet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't tried that eraser spongie thingie on my iron, but it really works in my bathroom....and I have that tempered glass stuff that shows just one little spot of water residue. Can't wait to use it on the iron - and love your needle organizer, might have to use that one too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bunny, love the tips, and I know about preparing the pill box for an elderly parent. Did it myself for a couple of years. But lately I've thought of using it for myself....I'm almost 60 :(

    Indeed it looks like a great organizer for lots of small items. I have one of those Magic Erasers around somewhere, but have a brand new iron and haven't needed to clean it yet. Know I know what to do, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. dear Bunny, I love your tips, whether they are original to you or not! Thank you for your continued generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips, thanks for passing them along!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary: