Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Pattern From Hell?

Well you would think so based on the  7 reviews of Butterick 5387 over at PR. Not one person could make the neckline work by following the directions. Some said it took hours to figure out. While this would have made most people walk away it made me even more determined to make this design and to make it as directed. After studying the reviews at PR, I pulled out my pattern directions and read them twice, thoroughly, not something I ordinarily do. I really think I can get this to work and its not that complicated. Does that sounds Miss Know It All or what? I'll either pull this off or toss it to the wadder pile by tomorrow evening. I am following every direction exactly as directed other than I put some clear elastic into the stitching of the shoulder seams and topstitched the shoulder seams as well. I am at step 13. Step 18 is the one causing second glasses of wine to be filled all over the town of Sewdom, (nothing to do with the Gomorra one.)

The fabric is a poly/lycra knit, nice weight and drape, that I picked up at the Fix in New Hampshire a while back. As all the reviewers said, I really love this pattern. Many said they would make it again but toss out the directions. Keep you posted.
*********************************************************************************
Thanks for the lovely comments on the Tablecloth Dress. It was  probably the most fun project of the year so far. I learned something new, template smocking, that I will try again, and I did some  re-purposing as well. That's what I call a successful project. Now I am on the hunt for my next hand project. Hmmmmm,,,,,,Bunny
*********************************************************************************
Cissie of Design Dreamer asked "I AM a little puzzled as to why you first did a chain stitch, and then an outline stitch over(?) it when you had completed the cables inside?"  Very astute of you to notice and I was actually a bit surprised no one else noticed. This was deliberate. I followed directions and chain stitched around all my shapes. As I went along it was merely a matter of artistic license  that made me do the outline stitches. For the flower the grey chain stitch outline was not enough and I wanted to bring in some pink. Also by adding some heavier outline stitch I could hide a bit of my inexperience here ( blush). I think next time I do this I may outline completely with a heavier outline stitch before filling in the spaces. Thanks for asking...Bunny

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! If anyone can make this top, it is you! I need a hand project, too. I'm thinking about embroidering on top of a printed fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely interested to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't post a review but was surprised when I made this. I wouldn't call it the pattern from h*ll, but I thought I followed directions and really had no problems with the sewing. But my finished effect at the neck was not the same as the envelope. I determined that should I sew this one again, I would make my own instructions for getting those pleats to lay like I wanted. Good luck! I'm sure this can be done, just not by following the pattern's instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate the input, Bev. Maybe the pleats need to be deeper? I do want them to be nice and flat like the envelope. They are all cut and basted in at this point. Keep ya posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One (of the many) deep dark secrets about design is that often the sketch is nothing close to the real design of the pattern...that's why I like the pictures so much - they are more realistic. Those pleats or gathers could stick out and cause a space to look "fuller" than normal in an area that might already be sensitive; it could be fuller through the body of the pattern; it could be smaller through the hip; it could be a lot of things that the sketch won't show.

    I'll be anxious to see how this turns out cause if anyone can make it work - you can (no pressure - right!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire is so right about drawings instead of pictures on the envelopes. I've learned this much to my disgust several times last year.

    I was thinking of topstitching the pleats at least part of the way and I think this is one where I thought a stay of some kind-like fusible interfacing on the inside of the pleats- might be useful. Depending on the fabric, those pleats could use some tulle to give them body. Mine do not stick up at all and release immediately appearing more like asymetrical gathering at the neckline than pleats.

    I have much to learn (even though I've been sewing 50 years) so I'm eagerly looking back here and checking for your progress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Without doubt the most prepared person in the world to end this challenge is to get you! It will be very rewarding to know your progress and thoughts about this project, I am fascinated with it ...

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary: