Sewing Vloggers

Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Little Red Dress all ready for Christmas! (Simp 2771)

 

I think you can tell I am pleased. I like the dress but not the fact that I can't see the buttons on the camera without my glasses so sorry about the face glare!

The dress is very comfortable to wear and a bit heavy. The waist stay makes a big difference. I did end up hand picking and then beading the zip. It looks really pretty and is subtle but noticeable. I used three red delica beads to a stitch so it definitely shows up. 

Pattern: Simplicity 2771, an "Amazing Fit" design. It gives you options for A-D cup sizes and can be cut slim, regular, or curvy. I would have needed the curvy but that was a moot point as I chose to do a full skirt instead. Be careful figuring out the correct size pattern. Don't use their chart other than to figure your cup size. Use the pattern by your high bust measurement or whatever size always works for you and just use the appropriate bust size. I think I got a pretty good fit on the bodice. 

Fabric: Silk purse out of a sow's ear? Hopefully! I purchased this red stretch lace off the clearance table at JAs for 2.00 a yard. I know, embarrassing, but the color was spot on. The only drawback with the fabric was the lack of scallops which would have really enhanced the design further. I bought the whole rest of the bolt so had plenty for the skirt which is about a 100 inches wide. The lining, in keeping with the quality,is a red poly charmeuse. I wasn't going to put Bemberg under this lace! Just my personal fabric buying philosophy....All in all the fabrics were not difficult to sew and really the lace was quite accommodating. 

Construction: Once the fit was worked out the directions were very clear, almost too much direction! I referred to them only a bit but there are pages of directions and this would be excellent for a beginner. I treated the lace and lining as one in the bodice and separately in the skirt, therefore the hand picked zipper. This meant that at the bottom of the zipper the seam allowances were slashed at an angle and each fabric treated as a separately hanging skirt with its own seam allowance. It came out very neatly in the end. My pic of the beaded zipper is somehow erased so I will try to get that to you all later. 

I attached a waist stay. Something told me (my gut) to add a section of non roll elastic to the waist stay. Was I ever glad I did! I know I would have had difficulty getting the dress on and off otherwise. I really like the way the stay  carries the weight of the dress adding to its comfort.

I really apologize for the picture quality. I am still getting used to this camera. Truthfully, like all of you, I am sure, I am under the gun and therefore the delay in getting the pics out to you as well as not fussing too much with getting the perfect one. At this point all sewing is done. I haven't shown you  the all the AG clothes I have been making. They are cute and all packed up in their new "case" including a smocked bishop for the new addition. That took some time. And there's been the cooking. If you were here  I would make sure you got some pistachio cookies and a glass of  holiday cheer. 

I will leave you with the view we woke up to this morning. Its very cold and crisp and just the perfect amount of snow for Santa to do his work. I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I may not be posting for the next week so drive carefully, enjoy your loved ones and may the holiday be all you hoped for. God bless you all!....Bunny

16 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous!! No wonder you're pleased with yourself. Noone would guess it was clearance fabric either. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Bunny!
    Merry Christmas, thank you for sharing the details of construction--the dress is beautiful and so are you, in red! Enjoy the holiday party and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a silk purse out of a sow's ear! The fit and colour are wonderful. I've heard of waist-stays made out of petesham ribbon, but not non roll elastic. It's good to add this tip to the back of my mind.
    Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Bunny! And I think you made a good call on your fabric quality/expense.Why sepnd lots on a "few wearings" garment? Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fabulous!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Bunny. Gorgeous dress. Very Christmassy :) It is Christmas here already and I have woken up to some rain. And an expected top of 35!....celcius. Grateful for the rain, the heat not so much. Now off to wake the girls and open the presents :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress Bunny, and a beautiful Christmas snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it is so nice to see the snow and more photos of the lovely dress. The full skirt is so pretty! The sheer volume of your work for this Christmas is amazing, not to mention the high quality of everything. Thank you for sharing with us! Be safe and enjoy the holidays, and see you back in the blogosphere soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so pretty in your little red dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dress. It's so elegant. Merry Christmas Bunny.
    Genine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful dress....and you look gorgeous in it. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful dress.........the pearls look best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhh!!!!
    Gasp! Gorgeous!
    First, the dress - a woman after my own heart, I love red!!! The fit is exquisite!
    Second, the winterwonderland!!! Oh how I miss a white Christmas! Although if I were still back home, I STILL wouldn't have had one this year. Your's looks like it was perfect!!!!
    A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Bunny!
    Designdreamer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and you looks great!!thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...