Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, December 4, 2014

McCall's 6938


I'm continuing work on my jacket but it seems to have evolved into an epic effort at this point. I've decided to add topstitching, using rayon embroidery thread and the machine. As I put the pieces together, and I knew this would happen, twigs would get cut off and mismatch so it was back to the paint pot to add some corrections. I didn't want the design to look chopped off at the seams and darts. I'm also not sure where to put additional "twigs" and won't until the entire jacket, other than side seams, is together. So a lot more painting and stitching is in my future before I can call this project done. Luckily the construction will be quite easy. I've been playing with edge treatments as well. 

In the meantime, I have (unusually) started another project, one with a Christmas deadline. On the top of my dear Carly's Christmas list was a ski outfit for her AG doll. She is a big skier, nearly every weekend and they have a second home in the mountains. Her dolly comes with her so the ski outfit is a necessity! A friend recommended McCalls 6938 and it is spot on. It even has directions for making the poles, goggles and skis! But a visit to Pinterest and a search for "American Girl doll ski outfit" brought up some really cute things. 


There were several tutes on making the skis. One used boning like we use in wedding gowns. Most used duct tape. Some further decorated the duct tape with cute designs. I think the trickiest part will be getting the skis to curve evenly at the tips. Why do I have a feeling this will be more monumental than the jacket? Do you see the hooks and eyes to close the straps on the boots? Is that not the cleverest? And where do I get that flag applique? I think a bit of fabric sharpies will come to the rescue on that one! Any way, it should be fun. Today I will hit Wally World for some cut duct tape. 



I didn't veer very far from the pattern photo for my fabrics as you can tell. The prints are being considered for the bands where  the pattern specifies a bias binding. Carly's ski jacket is very bright and floral, much like the floral so I thought that would be cute. We'll see what develops. Also on my list are shish ka bob sticks for the ski poles, oy...........

In the meantime, I'll leave you with my experiment on edge treatments and stitching for the jacket. I think it is prettier IRL. Ignore the white paint that leached through from the sample on the other side.  I have  a day to myself next Monday so a sewing day is booked and hopefully both of these projects will make some major headway. What are you stitching for Christmas? Fancy party dress? PJs? dolly clothes?................Bunny












22 comments:

  1. That ski outfit is so cute and your version is sure to be loved by Carly. I'm so intrigued by your current jacket project and cannot wait to see it. Here in AZ, I am sewing a holiday dress using B5850. I did some tissue fitting, and am sewing up a test version with a looser skirt. The Christmas dress will be of a black and bright blue jersey. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun! I'm sure I've seen flag ribbon somewhere for that appliqué. What a great pattern, I'll pin this for when my own new niece gets into AG-sized dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be on the hunt for that. It sure would simplify things. Thanks for that suggestion, Magpi.

      Delete
  3. My goodness this is cute. I have so many patterns for these dolls but have only made one. You make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this might be one of the more involved patterns but as a rule they are usually a quick, fun sew.

      Delete
  4. Bunny I can't wait to see this whole ensemble! What about using doll needles for the ski poles? They come in different sizes and you could blunt the sharp points. You probably wouldn't have to do much more. Waiting eagerly to see your jacket. It's looking pretty fantastic already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to check out the knitting needles too. Thanks for the idea, Angela.

      Delete
  5. Bunny, I have a small flag appliqué one inch by one half inch. If you'd like to try it I'd be glad to send it to you. You have given me so much good info, especially with my two versions of Simplicity 2153.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so generous of you. I am no sure the size I need yet and will probably have a better idea once the jacket is sewn. Thanks so much for your offer, very kind of you.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to see the finished jacket! I just finished my big holiday sewing- 12 hand painted aprons for a charity bazaar. I will never be doing that again- when I am home for the holidays, I will be making a run to JoAnn's to get quilting cotton for next years round, and make 1-2 a month so it's not so stressful. I am now moving on to Tilly and Button's Franciose dress. I have two versions I want to make before the December 14th contest deadline. Hopefully I have some time this weekend to work on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your contest. Sewing comps can be such fun.

      Delete
  7. That ski suit is pretty darned awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute doll pattern! It should be a really fun project. Your jacket is coming along nicely. It truly is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is adorable! Sewing in itself requires patience, even more so for doll clothes, IMO. Miss Carly is a blessed young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bunny, I am still trying to follow your Christmas PJ lead from last year, LOL. I have some small double pointed needles that would be perfect for the ski poles, and I can easily send them to you (rosewood or aluminum, I have tons). I spent several childhood summers on Lake Titus...skiing is a good way to enjoy the winter!
    My daughter sent me an ebay link to American Doll listings. I kept all her dolls and some accessories but they are too "well loved" to be collectible. I suspect Carly will never part with hers! You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids love to come up and ski Titus and will at Christmas. We are really excited about their visit. Usually we go down there. Thanks for your offer on the "ski poles". I have had so many kind offers. My boss, who knits like I sew, is giving me some knitting needles that will fit just perfectly, but thanks again. That is really sweet of you.

      Delete
  11. I am over indulging in fleece this year. PJ bottoms, robes and with the left over scraps, I hope to make PJ bottoms for me - they will be colorful, mismatchie but very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The AG ski outfit is going to be adorable. Carly will be over the moon. the hook and eyes idea is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the poles and flag sourced. I am now only concerned about the blue acetate for the goggles. What I think I will try is some clear plastic from one of those hellish shrink wrap items and use a marker to color them blue. This is becoming a real team effort. Carly is totally into Santa and we have decided that Santa will give her the ski outfit. I am just making it for him. ; )

      Delete
  13. That AG ski outfit looks like it will be a lot of fun. Enjoy your sewing day! As for me, I made a red silk capelet for a holiday party I recently attended.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...