Sewing Vloggers

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Toile Continues!


A lot of headway was made today with Sophie's dress. The neckline and back bodice opening are scalloped and piped. Everything was basted in by hand first. I actually used a lot more clips than is shown here. I put a pin perpendicular to the inward point of the scallop. I would baste up to the pin, back stitch, then pull out the pin. After that I would v notch the piping, pull the piping down to continue into the scallop, and continue stitching. It took me exactly all of American Idol to get the basting done.


I have made many garments with bullions but this is the first that I can honestly say I am pleased with. I placed my stitches a little differently on the rose than I have on past attempts and they look better for it. Then again, by the time you have done 40 something bullion buds and roses, they should be improving.

Tomorrow is finish up the piping application and then deal with the lining. Lining in heirloom sewing is a little different than what you see in most textbooks and patterns. At first it really bothered me but I have come to appreciate the whys of this slightly different process. I hope to have pics of the process for you. .........Bunny

11 comments:

  1. How did you learn to smock. I'm self taught through books, and trial and error I still have lots to learn. One thing I have not done that I think I do need to do is the back smocking. It holds the pleats together better doesn't it? I'm also self taught in my heirloom sewing. What is different in the lining process? I amy already do it, I just don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks gorgeous so far. I love the colours you have chosen. Can't wait to see more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. undialiI love reading your posts about heirloom sewing I am learning so much with them.
    I can't wait for the lining
    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like another gorgeous Bunny outfit in the making! I marvel at your patience for hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bouillon stitches are not the easiest stitches to do. Practice makes perfect, as you have demonstrated! Gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing your lining technique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. The color combo is perfect. I use to smock when all my girls where little. I hurt my shoulder and can't do fine work anymore. Sure miss it. It's fun to see your work. I love the classic styles you make for your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Bunny - VERY beautiful smocking and I love your choice of colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Bunny, the roses are so perfect! I love the double color, too. Yes, practice does make perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to add, yes, I get a lot of handwork done during AI, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color of the blue piping with the fabric. I'm glad you shared your tip of making the floss a couple of shades darker than the fabric colors...I've tended to match the two and the stitches end up blending in. I can tell this is going to turn out great--can't wait to see the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's turning out beautifully! The smocking and the roses look fantastic

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...