Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Flight of the Bumblebee!

All done with the Bumble Bee Dress, simplicity 2464, a Daisy Kingdom design! Here's the details:

Fabric: The white bodice and bands are a poly linen blend, the better to wash and wear. Like many her age, DD isn't into ironing so 100% linen was out. The check is 100% cotton from JA's. I was impressed. It was one of the quilt designer fabrics and quite a heavy weight. It washed beautifully and barely needed ironing. The lining is 100% poly and the frou frou (ribbon) just a poly ribbon, yellow with white dots.


Design: This is a Daisy Kingdom design from Simplicity, 2464. Like most DK designs, this has lots of pieces. I find I am attracted to DK patterns because of their uniqueness and heirloom quality. They often take large amounts of fabric but this one wasn't too bad, 2 1/4 yards total. If I made this again I would make the skirt fuller going the full width of the fabric. I love really big skirts on my children's garments, usually 90 inches plus. This one is about 65 or so. 
              The white part of the bodice is one continuous piece starting at the front midriff, going over the shoulders, and down to the back elasticized midriff. These pictures would look better if they were filled with a bit of flesh to stretch out the elastic areas. I am sure it will look great on my lanky, leggy Sophie. On either side of the midriff are bands. The lower band is meant to face up toward the shoulders but I liked the way it sort of fell into place this way and covered the gathers, so I left it. 
              I love the back of this design.It is a peakaboo hole with a tie at the top and elastic below at the waist, no zips or buttons. I know this will be really sweet once my Sophie fills it out.


Construction: I lined the bodice and am glad I did it this way. The changes to accommodate a lining are in yesterday's post. I also underlined the midriff, in other words, used a layer of lining on top of the wrong side and treated it as one piece. All of the seams were stitched and serged. The back has you stitch channels on the back midriff and insert 1/8th in elastic through them. That worked really well. When connecting the white bodice to the midriff in the back it took me three tries. Make sure you read the directions here. You do not stitch the raw edges together. Instead the elasticized midriff is laid on top of the white bodice and stitched through the top channel of the elastics. You can see that in the picture below. The hem goes very quickly as it is all machine done with a layer of contrasting linen peeking out. 
Embroidery: The bumble bee embroidery design came from Creative Needle, August 2006. I made one change however. The designer specifies doing turkey work for the wings. To me they did not show enough. I chose instead to use four strands of floss and a simple lazy daisy to make the wings. Two strands of floss were white and two strands of floss were 3756, an extremely light blue. The two colors gave it a little depth and contrast to the snow white bodice.

Conclusion: I really like this pattern and recommend. I think it has lots of style for a little fashionista, as do many of the DK patterns. It also comes with a coordinating pocketbook and I will be starting on that shortly! I hope those of you who have this sitting int the stash get some fabric and stitch it up. It is not hard to do at all. Caveat: this is one of those patterns where you really do have to read and follow the directions closely. 
**********************************************************************************

As I was taking pics of Sophie's new dress, I turned and knocked over my nicely organized box of needles. Oy........Bunny

24 comments:

  1. Just too cute. The bees are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I am so glad you posted all the details. I will do my best to stick to them. Like you, I have a tendency to do everything differently than the patterns suggest, and this would have made me crazy! I LOVE your little bees. Ahnalin as picked fabrics out of my stash for this dress that are very much like the cover art. I prefer yours, but I already own the fabric she has picked out. So....mine will be yet another hot pink concoction! I will cut into it shortly, and enjoy you pointers. Thanks Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling! I love the fabric and colors you've chosen. Hope you're feeling better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bumble bees. I keep on hoping that I will master bullions, yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bunny I love the fact that you linned the bodice. I always line and never ever use facing. the embroidery is perfect.. How old is Sophie. My Olivia is 6 1/2 and loves this dress. Beautiful job!

    MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophie is five and a half. She is the tallest in her class and very leggy. I can't wait to see this on her and all filled out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so pretty - I want to try this pattern, thanks for all the great info. adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bees are just darling. i love the black & white with bright shots of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling Dress! Just love it! Hope your feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Μένω άφωνη! Είναι πραγματικά πανέμορφο!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire your dress, it's so beautiful and unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's adorable, the hand embroidered bumble bees are so whimsical. Lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lucky little girl! It's so cute, you did a marvelous job (as usual)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, so cute! Sophie is going to love that peek-a-boo back! As always, what a incredible job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dress is so beautiful it makes me wish I had a grand daughter! Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Love the bumblebees, love the whole dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The dress is adorable and I love the bumble bees even more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Extremely adorable! I love your version of this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are simply amazing. This is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this dress. You do beautiful work and we get to admire it. When I was around 12 our English babysitter, Mrs. Walker, who we adored tried to teach me to embroider and I tried, I really did, but embroidery did not take with me, no matter how much I admired the stitching. Hats off to you.

    Are you feeling better from the bump on your noggin?

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute and perfect, Bunny. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bunny, it turned out BEAUTIFULLY!! Such wonderful little hand embroidered bees & their little black trails, too. Lots of FUN & special features on this one.
    I do hope you get to show off some photos of Sophie wearing it. Its just lovely!
    You always do such nice work. I soooo wish I lived closer & could pop by for hands on lessons with you.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my first time here. What an adorable dress! I love the matching bag and doll's dress, too.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...