Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

McCalls 5721, Cart Cover finis!


Cart Cover is done and I love it. Yup, this is a lousy shot. This is what happens when it is pouring out, you've just finished working all day, and your hanging out in the local supermarket parking lot and want to go home. But I think you get my drift. On the left you can see the giant pocket which really is a bag that the whole magilla folds up into. The white belting is the strap which becomes the handle to the bag if you do a perfect job of folding it all up. It's hard to see but there are two pockets on the inside that the child has access to, great for little toys, bottles or sticky gooey snacks. It is all totally washable and with a little effort and some body mass inside I think it will be pretty cute. No baby in my family is going to chew on those germ encrusted handlebars!

Pattern: McCalls 5721,the Three in One Cart Cover.

Fabric:  Joann's calico wall's finest! 100 percent cotton. This was a border print with a different border on each side of the yardage which I didn't pick up on till home. You can see here that the border difference was a non issue. The filler is a wool/poly blanket. The easy way to pull this off would be to use purchased double sided quilted fabric . It would whip right out in that case but the price would increase bigtime.

Construction: Not much unusual here. Most was discussed in the last post. Basically:

* Make your casing one inch wide.

* Use a French binding for the legs and pockets.

 ETA Update: Here's a pic of it all folded up in the bag. Thanks for this suggestion:


Everything else was just as the pattern spec'd.

This gets packed up tomorrow for our new Mom who is eagerly awaiting her arrival. She will not know the sex until birth. Maybe there will be more smocking in my future....Bunny

14 comments:

  1. It looks great and I'm sure both Mom and Baby will love it. Here in California all of the stores have disinfectant wipes at the entrance so you can wipe off the carts, but this is still better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a great idea (never seen them before your post) - as for disinfectant wipes - again in the UK not here unless you bring them yourself.

    Bet the mum will be thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric choices! I made one for my grand daughter last year. Since I'd never made one or even used one before, I found it sort of confusing. In retrospect, the prequilted fabric would have definitely been easier, but the pattern/color choices are limited. Instead of binding the edges the usual way, I used foldover elastic. I also eliminated the elastic in the casing and used FOE there as well. I use FOE a lot for kids' clothes and nursery items. It's SO easy to put on and looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Tracy. Will give it a try next time. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. This looks lovely! I may need to pick up this pattern as I am at that age where friends are slowly, but surely, starting to have babies and these would make great presents. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo! Love the colors - how fun! And I like the idea of an inside pocket for them to hide things in... just as long as they don't leave a pb&J sandwich in there for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking cart cover. BTW- I gave you a versatile blogger award.
    Thanks,
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cenetta, for the recongition. Greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Hello! Love the Cart Cover! My sister would love it for my niece! My name is Valery and I work at the McCall Pattern Company in NYC. We would love to post your photos on our McCalls Facebook page Fb.mccallpattern.com with your permission, of course! In turn, we will post a link to your blog! Let me know at your convenience via my email address at valeryp@mccallpattern.com Have a great weekend!

    VP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have my email response by now. Thanks for the kind words and recognition!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the McCalls recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a thoughtful gift, Bunny! It looks very practical, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just back to add that my niece in law absolutely loved it and thinks its pretty clever. This gift will get another go round!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I Googled this pattern number and came across you post, so glad I did!!! For the LIFE OF ME I was not understanding the directions for the inside pockets and the pattern pictures just do not explain it! You did a wonderful job and thank you so much for posting the photos for the rest of us! Now I'm off to get it all sewn up for my sister-in-law's baby shower!!!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...