Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Butterick 5387


I had to go digging in the resource center for some of the miles of blue gingham hiding there this past weekend. Seems I am going to be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz for Halloween. I had the blouse and will add the needed blue ricrac trim. DD gave me a tiny basket with Toto to walk around with. Old black flats will become ruby red slippers and a gingham pinafore, to be constructed by next Friday,  will hopefully tie it all together. We are all dressing as book characters for the day on Halloween and Dorothy seemed pretty easy, except for the hair, but I will figure something out. Do yo see those bias straps on this pinafore? 

Anyhoo, digging back there sure got my sewjo mojo boiling. I found all sorts of things to inspire. If you saw the Pin Post you may have noticed the egg cups full of pins were sitting on a really  lovely fabric. This is the purple/blue wool gabardine that I felted. It took two washes and dry on the hottest settings but now I am really happy with the felting. I need jackets for work. Blazers and more structured jackets will not work as I and my comrades do a lot of reaching and stretching and carrying of books. I need something closer to a sweater than a structured jacket. A felted wool jacket will be great. I have a pattern picked out but it's a real stretch to get where I want that wool to go so I will start with a muslin. There are only three pieces and the construction really lends itself to the wool. I will reach into my bag of tricks to see what I need to make this felt look it's unique best. I will keep you in suspense on the pattern because I think you will say, "wha?"  I hope to make it work and fingers crossed. 


This  lovely lady is Mary Ray, accomplished sewist, teacher and member of the editorial staff at Threads magazine. From the first time I saw her top I knew I wanted one just like it. On the Threads site she actually goes into the method used for her sweet top. It's a method I've used a few times involving fusible tricot and random folding of tucks. I love the look and had total plans to make this. Then last week I walked into Joanns clearance sale and there was this rayon knit that looked pretty darn close. I bought. I started. I decided to make something rather close fitting from a favorite knit top pattern, Butterick 5387. The neckline is not easy but the three times I've made it I've somehow gotten it to work, despite the directions. Here's my last  version:

I like the shape and the way it fits. But now that I have it halfway finished and hanging on Ms. Dumdum I really like the look of that textured fabric just draping.

 So now I am playing with the idea of adding 1/4 circle godets into the side seams. Ideas are still gelling on this one but I won't do the more fitted top. This fabric is quite sheer. Being rayon it also has a really nice drape so I have to take advantage of that. At this point I have the neckline completed, the worst part, so the godets will be next, maybe french seams, We'll see. So what I thought would be a two hour turnaround has become another sewing event! I'll keep you posted.



I have to say,  this was one biatch to get sewing on. The fabric was more slippery than a two year old's spilled bottle of bubble soap. It was like sewing air. But I think it will be worth it. I am also going to make a nude cami for underneath. I have a couple but I want something a bit more comfortable and have a couple of ideas.

So that is one project. The blue felted wool jacket will be another and a third couple of fabrics that inspired me are these:

One is a cotton damask I dyed myself  and have never quite known what to do with it other than admire. The lower fabric is a great knit for a skirt. We'll see how this ends up!
*****************************

Thank you to all who have participated in the Monday sewing series. Your ideas, suggestions and experiences have been so helpful to all readers. Thanks, again. 

****************************
I am reading the most awesome sewing book, one new to me. I can't wait to share it all with you. 

.............Bunny

12 comments:

  1. I really love that rayon top you are making. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful texture on that top--and to think you did it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yardage came with the pleats and tucks already in the fabric, factory done. I'm just making it up into a similar blouse to Mary's. At least in the beginning it was. It will morph into something else now.

      Delete
  3. I really love your fabric and top. I am always on the lookout for textured fabrics. Should be a terrific top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that texture is fantastic. It will be so pretty when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ""Random" is much harder to achieve in balance than a measured pleat or tuck, but you've done a perfect job for your lovely grey top! May I ask how on earth you managed such perfect, unpuckered stitching when some of it was bias grain...and sheer fabric too!? As always, thanks so much for sharing your sewing adventures! Linda S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned, I found this fabric in the clearance section at Joanns. It was a rayon knit, already pleated and tucked. I was on the hunt for a solid, flat knit to make the blouse using Mary's technique but when I saw this bolt, already textured, I bought it without hesitation.

      I've used Mary's technique numerous times over the years but I think in this case, if the fabric curls, it would fun to sew a strip of the knit curving it as you stitch and allowing the side to curve in.You could also use double needles with a cording underneath or bias strips/crosswise if knit that you would stitch in with a more raveled look on the edges.

      Delete
    2. The fabric I am really anxious to use is the dyed damask. I think I may have finally found a pattern that will work.

      Delete
  6. Love the top youare wearing in the pic and especially love the rayon. You will be a too cute Dorothy. Not sure if you saw the link I posted to the Dorothy wig yesterday but incase you didn't here it is again.

    http://www.orientaltrading.com/api/search?Ntt=dorothy+wig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, Judy. Thanks. I think I am going to do some sort of headband thing with yarn. It's just for the day at the library. Thanks for thinking of me.

      Delete
  7. Your "Mary Ray" top is coming along beautifully. I look forward to seeing you model it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am gasping at that rayon sheer top...just gorgeous and such fabulous texture! You just make all of us want to create beautiful things!!!! The blue top is so pretty as well! Good luck on your Dorothy costume...what a hoot! Ruby slippers coming...spray paint?

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...