Rose Sweater, # 1
The pallette has only begun to be used.
For the collar I tried a lot of options, all from sweaters I have accumulated and felted. The color that worked best is a royal blue which you will get a more accurate idea of color on the close up. In the pictures it is just draped for effect and not cut to size yet. I used the collar from Simplicty 3562, View B. I wanted the collar to reach past the shoulder line and not be a deep V like the original. This collar fit the sweater just right and eliminated any drafting. I thread traced the felted wool with the shape of the collar and then proceeded to do a cross hatch running stitch, using blue painter's tape to keep accuracy.
For the flowers, first I did some rough sketches based on no particular inspiration. I then sketched them on larger paper and did a rough outline in heavy black marker. I found that the thick marker line showed through the sweater. Then I slipped a piece of foam core inside the sweater. I pinned the sweater to the foam core to prevent movement. Then I slipped my magic marker sketches between the sweater and the foam core and started to paint. I used acrylics which will be heat set to make them permanent and washable, something I have done many times with success in later washing. I actually would have preferred oils but when I moved from my last home all my oils vanished in the move and I just haven't bothered to replace them. I do find oils give a clearer deeper effect but I am pleased with how this came out with the acrylics. I used a combo of dry brush and water color techniques. It is all very freestyle and fairly stylized and I like that. There are two patch pockets on the front and I painted across their edges. I also ran the paint into the inner pocket as well so that if your bent and the pocket wrinkled it would still match. I didn't want a demarcation line of paint across the top edge of the pocket.
Something else I did was open the sleeves. The sleeves are knit with finished edges on the seams and won't unravel. I painted them with the foam core inside as I did the bodice.
This is just the beginning so bear with me. This is a project that will speak to me to let me know when it is finished. I can't really tell you. I'll just know. In the meantime I will be adding more and more embellishment so stay tuned for the metamorphosis. Oh, FWIW, this was a PLAIN off white wool sweater...Bunny