Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Vogue 9305, an asymmetrical delight!


I am really pleased with this top from Vogue 9305. It is basically four pieces with turned up hems and edges. Doesn't get much easier! It goes together quickly and is great for a bit of instant gratification.


First, let's get a bit of housekeeping out of the way. I wore this with flowing white linen pants, perfect combo, this past weekend. They are in the wash and I didn't want to hold up the review so used this white cotton twill number. This flow-y top definitely styles better with the softer, wider legged, slightly cropped white linen pants. Next, as we start anew here, you will  my find my photos have me with no makeup other than lipstick, just warning  you. I have  recently developed excema in my eyes. It is responding well to treatment but makeup, even foundation or concealer around the eyes is out Thank heavens lipstick is fine! So you may find my face not quite so dressed up. I do miss my makeup as I love that girly stuff!

I had to lighten the pics a lot to give you a better grasp of the detail and fabric.

Housekeeping  done so let's move on to this top!

Pattern:

Vogue 9305 is described by Vogue as a "fitted tunic with sleeve variations and shaped hemlines."  Vogue warns that the wrong side of the fabric will show and it does so keep that in mind when purchasing fabric for this design.

You will notice in the photos that the junction of the left and right side is at the left hipbone. I felt this wouldn't be that flattering for me and chose to make that intersection closer to my natural waist and thereby elongating the leg, that petite thing!  Aside from vanity, I also felt raising that slit would help me cut this pattern down to my petite frame. It seemed to be a better proportion for me. On the last post there was discussion about this pattern possibly not working for those of shorter stature. I disagree. With the right adjustment I think I got it to work.

Above you can see I removed 3/4 of an inch from the upper chest. I knew these sleeves would be too low, as they always are for me, so didn't hesitate to just tuck out some length strait across the upper chest and into the sleeves.  The next length reduction was from the lengthen/shorten line on the pattern near the waist. I took out 2 inches there. The last reduction was  a bit above the half way mark  for the curved right front hem. I took another two inches out there. The same amount was taken from the right front flounce piece as well as across the back in the same three places. This got the longest part of the tunic about 6 inches above the floor which felt right for my five foot frame. Removing all this length meant the side seams had to be trued before cutting and that is the white paper you see on the sides of the pattern pieces. I simply used ironed on freezer paper. You can see the 4 or so inches where the flounce connects to the right bodice with a serrated line above.

I did more altering to the pattern as well. Based on reviews I lowered the center front collar two inches and removed a half inch from the rest of the collar. I recommend this. It may enable you to make this dress without a center back seam or closure, further insuring this design to be a quickie construction. I am able to easily get it over my head now.

No FBA was done this time but I have lost a bit of weight so no need.

Fabric:


You can really get a good idea of the fabric in this photo of the rear on my form. It is a rayon crepe in a navy and grayish tie dye colorway.  It prewashed beautifully with no shrinkage. Hard to believe, right? The tie dye pattern runs along the grain for the most part. The fabric is VERY flow-y which I think this design warrants. You will also see here that I didn't have enough fabric to make this tunic or at least to make it so the design ran on grain. By deciding to add a waistline seam to the back of the garment and cutting  the upper back bodice on the cross grain the amount of yardage worked . The back skirt was on the length. From the get go I did not want a back seam or  closure but unfortunately laid my new back bodice out without the benefit of clear thinking and put the fold 5/8 of an inch out, thinking it was a seam. I did not have enough fabric to recut and just moving it over did not work with the sleeve design. To solve this the back bodice gained a center back seam, which actually was a 5/8 inch tuck. This put everything into the proper place and life went on. Here is a closeup of the neckline to give you a better idea of the crepe finish to the rayon. All of the pictures have been lightened substantially so you can  better see the detail and fabric.

Construction Detail:

Easy peasy!!!

I serged all edges before construction to eliminate the raveling this fabric could provide. Hem edges were simply serged and turned. The underside of the hem is visible with the flounce but it blends in and works. For the neckline I did a French binding, aka, double fold bias binding, that I understitched and turned to the inside. I really didn't want topstitching here. There is a lot of weight hanging from the neckline edge and shoulder seams. To secure it I took some light grey DMC floss and embroidered French knots all around the neckline. Shoulder seams were stabilized with selvedges. Do you cut off all your selvedges and keep them in a jar for these moments? Comes in handy! 



The center back seam was eliminated by cutting the back skirt on the fold. The back bodice also would have been cut on the fold if I hadn't mucked up but the tuck came to the rescue. 

I suggest cutting the neckline larger as it is quite close for a summery look and probably not that comfortable or flattering. Doing that, along with cutting on the fold eliminated any need for a closure, making this quick pattern even quicker. 

In the end:

I would definitely make Vogue 9305 again and recommend it highly. It CAN work for petites with the right length alterations which are easy to do. Make sure you use a fabric that is not stiff. A well washed linen would be lovely. Stabilize those shoulder seams as they carry a lot of weight and it wouldn't be a bad idea to stabilize the neckline too with a light tricot fusible in the binding or on the neckline seam, extending a tiny bit into the bodice. I really hope to see some of you try this pattern. I think it could be quite flattering on the large, the small, the short and the tall. I can see it being made in a chiffon and going over a strapless or tank-ish jumpsuit. Highly recommend! Vogue, you hit  a home run with this one!

Next up....................the Burnside Bibs. Can this grandma carry off  Rosy the Riveter meets Mr.Greenjeans?..........Bunny



19 comments:

  1. ooooh your version is so much better! putting this pattern on my wish list now xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! and go for the Bibs, mine are being hemmed this morning - LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see them. I'm using a midweight brown linen.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful outfit! Sorry to hear about your eyes, you do look good without makeup too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your review of this pattern. I loved it, but I am also only 5 feet tall and thought it would just be too much on me....I am now going to give it a try. My stash has some rayon batik that should work well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great. One thing I just forgot to do and it's really OK, is normally I would have shortened the sleeve hem a bit, but this is fine. It goes really quickly.

      Delete
  5. You look great!
    This is really a terrific look on you. I am planning this as well and I bought Japanese double gauze for it but now that you mention that the wrong side shows, I'll have to think again about it and whether I like the wrong side well enough to use it for this. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flounce falls in really nice spiral folds so I think with good hem technique and a differing look on the other side it could work. It could emphasize the pretty folds and I know you definitely have your hem technique down!

      Delete
    2. Good suggestions! I had never bought double gauze before and I didn't realize that the wrong side was so different. I't not a bad different though. I think that French seams and careful hem would definitely work!

      Delete
  6. This is on my to do list and I am 5 ft tall as well. I agree with proper adjustments we can wear anything too! I will take your adjustments under advisement and get busy! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will look great, Carol. I think what helps petites the most with this pattern is raising that slit to the waist level. It elongates the leg and that's always a good thing for us shorties.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous Bunny! This is such a pretty style on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous on you. Thanks for the great review, especially the info about shortening it. I'm an inch shorter than you so I would have to do the same so it's nice to have the info. Sorry about your eye issue. Hope it clears up totally. You're pretty enough without make-up. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comments. I'm getting used to the look. It was so painful and so nasty looking for a couple of months and now is pretty clear. It tries to flare up but the RX puts it right back in check. I don't want to lose my baby browns so am following Dr's orders. Appreciate your concern.

      Delete
  9. Love your top Looks great
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a wonderful job, Bunny! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That side waterfall ruffle is killer! Thank you for the pattern alteration photos for the rest of us short gals! Now to find some fabrics that work well on both sides...I'm thinking I have a box of rayon batiks that need to see the light of day for the tunic and the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good on you. Your adjustments are spot on! Welcome back to sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...