Sewing Vloggers

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Vogue 1642, Let's judge the muslin!






It's time for the judgies to happen! First, my husband LOVES this although I had to once again explain the philosophy of thin fabric muslins to him. He now gets it again. He also loves the design, probably even more than me! Above you see the top all zipped up. It is just too big all over. I cut the Small 6-8 size. I have now adjusted the pattern for all to be recut in my fashion fabric in the Extra Small 4-6  size. The bust on the small is 43 inches around. On the Extra Small it is 41. I like the bigness and will probably always have a turtle underneath and it will be sweatery so the largess is OK and expected. You can see this  clearly in the model photo on the pattern envelope. But this is way too big. It also looks a bit like lines are pointing toward the bust, usually an FBA alert, but I believe that to be from the weight of the big collar and it's facings, interfacings, zip and such made up in such a thin fabric.I think in my wool it will be fine. The sleeves are cut wide on this. I believe that to be a design detail, not a fit issue so be aware of that. They were cut way down in the XS size. Haviing just one pocket also tends to pull things askew. 

Here is another view with the big collar open and the underlay. I like it that way. My underlay will be a black rayon knit ponte.  Sorry for the white background. It was so dark and dreary in the house that I thought the white would help but it really didn't despite editing. 


And here is hubby's first pic. He always takes big background in my clothing pics. I really appreciate my Mr. Liebowitz but I do need to explain that what I want a picture of is what I am making and not anything else really. Photoshop helps. In this pic above you can really see how large this is on me. The sleeves will be shortened and 1 1/4 inches length  removed.  They will also be narrowed by an inch with the new size. I also downsized the pockets a bit, too. 

So now I am ready to cut and sew!, Yay! I've cut my new smaller size pattern tissue out and made the new tissue double so I don't have to cut anything on the fold. I will do the bodice first and that will get an underlining and Honk Kong seams. You probably won't hear any more on this until I can show you the completed top.  I doubt that will be until after Christmas but you never know. 
************************
Thank you to all who contributed the great comments on the last post about speed sewing. What a fun convo that was. I am going to try to have some more social convos about once a month as I gather topics cruising the internet. It is wonderful to see such vibrancy in the sewing world. 

************************

photo courtesy christmasprojects.com

I wish you all Joy in the New Year, lots wonderful time with loved ones, and bales of fabric in your sewing future. God Bless You All!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the detailed write-up of your muslin. I'm trying to build a bicycle-friendly wardrobe and this is on my to-sew list. Will you use 2 pockets in your real version to correct the balance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely. I reduced them by 3/8s of an inch on the length and width and the same on the flap.

      Delete
    2. Just want to add that was 3/8ths inch total on the width, not each side. Same goes for the length.

      Delete
  2. I really like this pattern!! I’m curious if the underlay can be left off...

    I love the muslin! I mean, I can see where it’s too big, but it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave a lot of thought to that. I am going to go with it for now but definitely think it can be left off. I think the collar would tend to lay open in more of a v neck look, depending on how high the zip goes up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking good. I wear mine with a turtleneck as well. I can't wait to see how it turns out in a knit fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the muslin is too big especially at the neckline and thrilled to hear that you're going down a size. Personally I like the social conversations on blogs. You hear from people who don't just want to okay another that looks great on a garment you've sewn. That's why I try to have a Question of the Day once a month...looking forward to your convos.

    Happy Holidays to you and your family! I hope they're filled with much laughter, joy and love! See you in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't look happy in the first photo. It is too big, and while it's supposed to be over sized, it's one thing to put it on a 5'10" model and another on a small woman. I do like the style though and I hope that you can get a flattering fit. Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun project. How do you plan to stabilize the knit so it'll hold the collar shape?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a muslin look this good to start with means you will get a superb final garment! The inside section leaves you open to make a cool contrast section or as you mentioned...black ponte knit. The design lines will certainly bring compliments and the wool should feel oh so cozy!Thank you for sharing all the alterations so far!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...