Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Want to come up and see my sketchings?

After I finished the boucle top my studio was a disaster, despite picking up every day when I am done. I took a whole day to recover from the boucle episode but just kept going, and going, and going,,,,,,,,,,3 days later my whole den of  Sewing Zen was reorganized and I was happy. Once again, I knew where everything was and now it was time to move forward.




In my cleaning I discovered a sketch pad I really thought was blank. I opened it to find all sorts of drawings I did back in the late 80s and 90s. It was really fun to review them. There was a lot of patchwork, fringe, just all sorts of over the top surface embellishment. I still like them today but would probably tone them down a tad, a big tad! Those were the days of 60-80 hour work weeks and if I couldn't make my ideas in fabric, at least I could draw them out on paper. After going down memory lane, I  took a pledge to start sketching again. These days I seem to go from brain directly to fabric cutting. Back then I enjoyed putting what was in my head down on paper first. Then,  when I did have time to shop and sew, reviewing my pad was like reaching into a toy box and deciding what special toy I would play with  that day. I am definitely going to sketch more.



This is the blanket skirt I am working on. It is Simplicity 2655.  It has 6 gores and a deep waist yoke that goes from upper hip to high waist, at least it will when I am done with it. I am using View E, bottom left.


It is SHORT but will be worn with my fleece leggings and boots, hopefully a good look.  The center front gore  will be quilted with diagonal blocks. There will be a border of just meandering scrolls sort of  around all of  the hem. My own input is making it a wraparound skirt and doing the center front panel asymmetrical.  The pattern uses a zipper.


 It will be  underlined with cotton flannel. This little skirt needs to provide some warmth! This blanket skirt is  a bit of an oxymoron with its short length and cashmere/flannel fibers. Their primary function,however, is to allow the decent wearing of leggings without exposing our divine lady bits to the entire world. I think it's a great concept and have seen many in our climate wearing these.  Some look like short little "puffer" versions and others look like short little heavy sweaters. Many are just heavy fabric skirts, like this will be.



I really lucked out here with the fabric. In my organizing frenzy, I found a BIG piece of black cashmere that was left over from making my cashmere coat a few seasons back. You can just see the glow. It is so yummy.  Score!  I had no idea I had this big piece of cashmere hanging around. The underlining is 100% cotton flannel, the better to keep my booty warm.  It's going together pretty quickly so hopefully I will have more for you soon   We have a lot planned this weekend and I was hoping to wear it but won't happen. I want to savor the process. Everything on this should be easy.   



I've gotten a big positive bunch of compliments on the Vogue top. Thank you to all for your kind thoughts. It was a challenge but that was a lot of my own making do to my choice to not follow the pattern as written. But isn't that what patterns are about? Inspiration and guidance? Heck, this blanket skirt isn't going to be like the Simplicity pattern either! .......Bunny
P.S. Did you catch the date on the sketch below? Upper left.


11 comments:

  1. I was a 9th grader in 1994! :)

    I love the sketches! I have said forever that I can't sketch. I found the first pattern notebook I'd attempted to keep and realized they weren't half bad. I've been sketching my 2020 garments and I'm pretty excited about them.

    Can't wait to see the quilted skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you share on your blog. I will try to keep sketching and sharing mine. It is fun, isn't it? Finding this last week was a real surprise. I thought it was an empty pad I had been moving from house to house. One thing I found funny is that the sketches, and there are plenty I didn't show, all reflect the shape and look of close from that time. Wow.

      Delete
  2. Your sketches make me want to find mine of that era. You're certainly right about all the busy details. I'm intrigued to see your cute skirt. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops I forgot to ask if the sketch of the Chanel style jacket was the one you sewed a few years ago where the lining fabric was fringed on the outside of the seams? I always loved that technique and very successful garment as I printed out your instructions but, sadly, have not sewn. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's not the one. This one goes way back to one I was thinking of doing for the Hoffman Challenge. It was made with the designated Hoffman print and had oval shaped pocket welts, all in turquoises. The jacket you reference is one of my all time favorites and I still wear it with jeans now and then. I am flattered you remembered. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. The first 3 photos are not coming up unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, the photos are direct from my computer. Is anyone else having this issue?

      Delete
  5. "like reaching into a toy box and deciding what special toy I would play with" I love that!
    Question on the blanket skirt....won't the flannel lining 'stick' to the fleece leggings? I live in the south so don't know how these two fabrics work together. Now I'm off to start designing my 'toy box'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have flannel lined pants that I wear fleece leggings with for work and no issues. I think the style and length of the skirt is short enough that that they won't ride up. We shall see! It's an underling so I can easily add a lining on top if need be. I plan to make the waist pretty snug so hopefully that will help keep things in place as well. Great thinking Garnet!

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to see this skirt!!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...