Sewing Vloggers

Friday, November 18, 2011

From the Field, achooo ooo !


This is my ninth night down in New England having already hit Cape Cod, NH, and now the North Shore of Massachusetts. All has gone well with babysitting duties but grandma has one heck of a non-departing cold. Hopefully it will be over with soon. I need it like a whole in the head!

Above is a dress I plan to knock off for Carly. It is from Zulilly who has some darling children's fashions. Carly is very very fussy about her clothes. She is a grandma way before her time choosing to live in non encumbering knits with leggings underneath. She detests any sort of label, seam or thread aggravating her prescious tender skin. She fell in love with this little dress before I even told her I had plans to make it. She picked it out as her favorite on my pinterest board. I promised to make it with soft fabrics so she would like it and she promised to wear it. Fingers crossed here. I engaged her in the washing and ironing as well as the cutting out of the pattern so she is buying into the project and is actually  quite excited. We actually cut out the bodice pattern and fit it on her. She cooperated and I adjusted. Its looking like a promising project.


While I brought my camera, I don't have my usb cord so can't upload on this strange computer. Fabric pics will wait till I get home. For the bodice I found an almost white stretch velvet, more of a velour, no "crushed" look. The red skirt will be a gorgeous deep deep red stretch velvet with paisley embossing. The underskirt and sash will be a lime-ish green taffeta, well maybe more Granny Smith apple green. It's not quite the traditional red and green and I like that. I can't wait to get home and start this project. I could start cutting it all out now and I even have the machine with me but keeping tabs on twins and big brother with no other "help" has got me booked full time. Add in a tiring case of the sniffles and you can see why it will wait till I am home.

Oh, the original Zulilly dress cost? Curently its on sale for 34.95 down from 80.95. Am I nuts? Should I just get out the plastic and spring? I don't think so. You don't make memories with plastic and appreciation can be even harder to come by. And the moments my grandaughter is enthralled with her grandma measuring her? Priceless! Besides, I think once you see the fabrics I have chosen you will agree it should have a "richer" look when complete, not 34.95. Can't wait to show you all...Bunny

15 comments:

  1. Gosh, can't wait to see either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleeves or no sleeves? I realize the original has no sleeves but I look at that dress and think, 'brrrrrr!" (of course, it does give you the opportunity to make a little bolero to top it off to make it warmer.....)Unfortunately, my granchild sewing is strictly 'snips and snails and puppydog tails' so I don't get to make any fabulous dresses these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at the dress and I thought bolero top, too! I can't wait to see it, especially with the fabric you described for the top. I'm not sure I like the ruched look of the original. I completely agree with the process of measuring and having Grandma make it will be much better than just showing up with a "boughten" dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I do hope you get better soon! and don't infect the grandies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be so pretty-I wish you had been my grandma :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being sick is no fun, especially with you're with those precious ones. I love the dress, I wonder if it comes in my size? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely darling! Please do get better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the most adorable dress! I can definitely see why you will be knocking it off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is going to be completely adorable. Get better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an adorable dress, and with your skills you will replicate it beautifully. Anxious to see what you do. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOu could line everything is silk for her delicate skin. Nice dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a darling dress and it is so wonderful that you are engaging Carly in the process of making it. She will remember that forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure that yours will have a better overall finish, especially the embellishment.
    Beckie in Brentwood, TN

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bunny, I love the dress and can't wait to see your couture version.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that dress. Congrats for taking it on!!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...