Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, September 18, 2014

What's wrong with this picture?


One of the suggestions on this pattern was to use rivets at the corners of the pockets. I liked that idea and had some nice silver ones. These are flat with concentric engraved circles not visible here. I chose them because I really like the look. Hammer away!


The next morning I went to wear my recently made print jeans and looked at those rivets which I installed after watching a few youtube videos. Have you figured it out yet? I put these in backwards. ugh.....but I did that because I thought the back of the rivet was the "pretty" public side. Clearly there is minimal rivet experience here but I have learned a lesson.  OK, the rivets could have been installed with the little nipple side out but they weren't as shiny or as interesting. So while I made a mistake here, it was that "wild enthusiasm, unencumbered by the thought process" that had me make by decision by the look I liked, not by the "rules". So while my ego has been bruised by my lack of knowledge, I am comfortable with a look I chose from the outset because I just  liked it. Do you really think the rivet police will come after me?

Next snafu was the yoke. It is well installed but not the way I wanted it to be. Again, wild enthusiasm took over. I was doing the burrito technique for the yoke which is in the tutorials. But I topstitched the yoke before closing it up. This meant I didn't have a free seam allowance to connect with the wraparound lining yoke. Whahhhhhh......So I just did the traditional handstitched yoke finishing you see here and all is fine, just not quite what I wanted. I will adjust the tutorial to reflect my stupidity   eagerness.


I am on to the sleeves now, s l o w l y  on to the sleeves. I want them to have a fold back cuff with a slit.  I've adjusted the photo so you can see my markings a bit better. The top line is the hem fold. I added another 3/4 inch for turn options. How deep did I want it to turn? Then the cuff which has a slit in the middle, then the final seam allowance. I haven't cut off the surplus yet. The lining will have a facing that will be two inches wider than the "cuff" space. They will be placed right sides together and stitched on the drawn lines. Fingers crossed. Go away unbridled enthusiasm, go away...........Bunny

17 comments:

  1. Lol. I think you are safe from the rivet police. I just thought you'd found specialty flat ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can carry around a couple of gold stars and stick 'em to the forehead of anyone who would actually notice and then say something. I love that you went with what you thought was prettiest. And considering how perfectly those thread lines lead up to the flat rivet, it's fantastic. Gorgeous project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunny, Bunny, quit beating yourself up! The rivets look wonderful and who's to say they weren't meant to be that way with all the variations on the market? I'd be much more concerned with making sure they were fastened properly which yours no doubt are. I understand about the yoke. I think I may have done the same thing somewhere along the line. Can't wait to see the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impeccable as always, I had the same thought as Lady ID, that you had found beautiful flat rivets. No one will ever notice the yoke being constructed in another way then you intended. don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha ha! I would never have known since they look great from the side they are on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHAHAHA!

    Love the suggestion to give gold stars to anyone who "calls out your rivets"!

    This is the fun part of sewing, right??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes being unencumbered by the thought process is the best path to fun--and to learning. (Another fan of the Magliozzis here!) The top looks beautiful, with the pretty side of the rivets clearly being the "right" side. Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, you blew my secret source! I love the Magliozzis too, as you can tell.

      Delete
    2. Next thing we know, you'll be dividing tutorials into Part 1 and Part B, followed by the third half. :)

      Delete
  8. I like your rivets just the way they are Bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I certainly didn't see anything wrong with the rivets, so I think you did the right thing and went with the pretty option, which is generally the right one. Good luck on the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I worked in a quilt store I always remember the owner telling the customers that they could use either side of the fabrics as they had bought "both sides"...they could choose. The same goes with your rivets...if a designer suddenly wanted a more industrial look, he or she would not hesitate to flip the over and do it. As far as the yoke, you just re-arranged the sequence and added a couture technique...this happens in my sewing room all the time, in fact I don't like the burrito version as it does not always allow all the layers to lay as flat as they can. Thank you for sharing your "mistakes" ...I see them as designer decisions...just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. any mistake made consistently is a design detail
    I'll trip the rivet police if I see them headed your way

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, "creative opportunities"! I think they look great. I've always wanted to do some sleeves with the little cut-out vent. I anxiously await your detailed explanation. I don't read patterns very well but I can follow your instructions & photos easily. Thanks for helping all of us do a better job, Bunny.

    p.s. Went to Llonda Rohlfing's class on jackets this week....such fabulous inspiration!!!! Lovely LADY, excellent presentation and some GORGEOUS samples to drool over. It was such a delightful afternoon escape & only $20 for the class!! Would sign up for any of her classes again if she ever comes back to Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why not use the rivets backwards? It is like when you decide to use the wrong side of the fabric as the right side! They look fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post. You could have been speaking of me. I've been known to sew fabric upside down or inside out because I like the look of it better, not always realising my mistake at the time. Once there was this fabric called 'red door'. That should have been a clue for me. I saw the pattern and the 'doors' but only later realised I'd mistaken the floor for the roof. I wore those upside down doors all summer!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...