Lace to Linen

It was time to get the lace attached to the edges of the sleeves, before pulling up the pleating threads and still flat. There are a few different ways to do this. I'm a big "sampler" and this case was not different. The usual edge to lace method with the edge stitching foot in between did not give me the accuracy needed for some reason. It also seemed to be a weak finish with the lace ready to pull off. So with a little experimentation I ended up doing it this way. First I folded back and pressed to the underside 1/4 inch of fabric at the edge. I then laid this on top of the lace header, which measures a 1/16th of an inch the most. My stitch was a basic zigzag, width 3.0, length .8. I used a regular clear foot to stitch. This made a PERFECT, not heavy "roll" next to the lace. I liked the look. This is not a tight satin stitch, but a really light zigzag. On the back the excess fabric was trimmed back to the stitching. I am very pleased with how this came out. There is a little body to the edge now and that will make it stand out a bit. That should look nice. A click on the picture will enlarge to get a better idea of this technique.

At the Joann's sale I picked up this pattern which got some great reviews on PR. Each size in the pattern has 3 options, slim, regular, and curvy. The pattern has you take measurements and provides a chart which will let you know which one to use. This is based on the full crotch and back crotch measurements. As suspected, mine was a curvy. However, if I use the pattern recommended the hem width at the bottom will be quite wide. So I will make these and see how that plays out. This is next in the cue after the linen blouse, which is coming along nicely, thank you. I have some twills hanging around to do my first pants in.


I would like to welcome the many new visitors to the blog. It really makes me glad that you are here enjoying the postings. Your comments are really appreciated as well so don't hesitate, positive or critical. They are welcome!

I have had a few questions lately and will try to answer them now.

Design Dreamer wondered about the stitching on the collar and the color. The jacket is a pale yellow, as is the binding. In between the two is a line of outline stitch in pale green. You are right, DD. The outline stitch is one half of the wheat stitch!

I agree with you Cissie. I always cut back my undercollar a sixteenth to an eight of an inch at the neckline to roll that seam edge to the bottom and prevent the cupping. Being one layer, this coat did not require it. It did roll beautifully so it was a nice draft. FWIW, I live by Roberta Carr's cardinal rule: reduce bulk wherever possible.

Cissie, Oh the dreaded tunnel neck. I must admit I have never had that happen on one of my bishops. I am sure you are right and its the blocking that helps.

Once again, thank you for all your visiting and I hope to see more of you posting. Your comments are always welcome. .............Bunny


  1. Bunny, it is always nice to read your posts :) Those pants look good. It will be interesting to see how they go.

  2. Smart choice with joining the lace. The edge now looks more substantial, too.

  3. I'm always on the look-out for the perfect pants, so keep us posted on this pattern!


Post a Comment

Engaging commentary:

Popular Posts