Sewing Vloggers

Monday, February 9, 2009

BWOF 02-2009-115 continues.....


My first Burda adventure continues. I am continuing to do my own thing here and I am starting to realize that is what is seems to be about anyway. On my collars I often used the Nancy Zieman "wrapped corners" technique and used it here. She instructs to understitch with a triple zigzag. I like this a lot on bulky fabrics. It provides a really flat thin edge done this way. I know some don't like the uncoventional look but I think if done neatly it looks fine. It is on the undercollar, after all. You can see how neatly the collar rolls to the undercollar with this technique.

After the collar was topstitched I steamed it on the ham. It will sit tonight to dry out. Tomorrow I will install it in the neckline/ facing.

This is a VERY heavy linen but because of that it is bulky. Any excess fabric is hard. So on the pocket flaps and the collar points, I rounded my points off with the edge of a Gutterman spool. On both of these pics you'll get a better idea by clicking to enlarge.

I know I mentioned sewing tomorrow. Truth is I really have to move on our taxes, like many of you. I think a piece of nice fabric should be my reward when I am done, don't you?

For our friends in Australia, you are in my thoughts and I pray you are out of harms way.......Bunny

8 comments:

  1. I am glad you are making this jacket. I hope you continue to have success with your first Burda WOF.
    Here in Melbourne it has gone cold (thank goodness) and the fire thread had reduced, however there are many fires still burning. The devastation and lives lost is just heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you're doing so well with this jacket. Your discharged fabric is going to make a simple jacket unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely collar....beautiful fabric!

    Pam ~Off The Cuff~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone had mentioned this technique(the multi zig) for collars on PR. It's good to see how it looks and what it does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is looking good. Reducing bulk any where in a garment is a big priority for me. Your method seems to be right on for this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog. I also do heirloom sewing. I have 5 grand children and sew for them mostly. Your things are amazing. i have throwbacks very often, as I haven't been blogging very long and have lots of things I want to show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome aboard, Julia. I believe Pam is new to posting here as well. Thanks for stopping by, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comments. I am pretty much a self-taught heirloom sewist. I learned to sew from my grandmother and 3 years of home ec in high school. I've been sewing since I was about 10, but heirloom sewing for only about 8 years. I love Sew Beautiful mag. and the smocking mag from Australia. I don't have a subscription to it or the other you mentioned, but will look into them.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...