Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

An Easily "Petiteable" Blouse

Maybe I should call this the "un" blouse. No set in sleeves, no collar, no cuffs, no time to make. I wasn't sure I liked it but it is definitely growing on me. This is
Butterick 5327 and about as simple as it gets.

I found this 1.00 a yard mystery fabric in Joann's clearance. I think it is a cotton-rayon blend, mostly cotton. It drapes nicely, hardly wrinkles and is very comfortable to wear.

I call this an easily petiteable blouse because it has two 1/2 inch tucks across the front and back. By stitching them 5/8 inch wide instead I decreased my upper chest length by a half inch. This is the normal amount I subtract from all of my patterns from the armscye to the CF. It doesn't get much simpler. I like the way the tucks add the fullness to the sleeves. The sleeves are simply hemmed with a casing and elastic. I mean this blouse is SIMPLE. I might make another one under one circumstance. I think this would be gorgeous in some white linen with pin stitching across the top of the tucks. The other idea I had was to stitch the top of the tucks in some sort of zigzag and then run some ribbon thru and let it dangle over the sleeves.

This patttern is for knits only. Did I listen? Noooo. This is a woven. I had planned on a shoulder button opening but once I did a mock head pullover with some scraps I knew it would easily fit over my head. I did not like the idea of just turning and hemming the neckline as the pattern advised so did a French binding instead. The seam allowance was cut off of the neckline and then a folded strip of bias was sewn to the wrong side. Then I wrapped it to the right side and topstitched, easy peasy. The binding is fairly wide, the better to mimic the tucks.

All in all I am pleased, pleased with the quickness, with the opportunity for some creativity if you desire, and pleased with the feminine look. I highly recommend Butterick 5327. Oh, the tucks aren't crooked. It's just the way I am standing. .......Bunny

11 comments:

  1. Great un-blouse, Bunny! I've got it in the drawer already, and it's great to know I can use a woven! I'll need easy-peasy projects in a couple weeks when school starts :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Very like a dress I made back in the '80's - had tucks across the top and the rest was a sheath shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very lovely on you. It drapes beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute blouse. I'm thinking those cut-on sleeves could be extended into 3/4 length for fall/winter. You could do a lot of embellishment on those tucks. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great top! I have this pattern - now, because of your inspiration, I need to pull it out and take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really attractive! I like that you didn't listen when the pattern said for knits only. That's courage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely - a style I would have skipped over, but it really does look perfect for petites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blouse -- and it looks great on you, even headless! I'm passing this along to my petite friends.
    Cissie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just love this! At barely 5' tall I am always looking for quick ways to "petite" patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola Bunny.. solo pase a ver las maravilosas y hermosas cosas que has hecho.. felicidades... bye...

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...