Carly's little red cashmere coat is now complete. I had a dickens of a time photographing it. I don't know if there was too much contrast or what but these are the best pics I could get out of very many. It does look much cuter IRL.
The pattern is from Gail Doane's "Sew Cute Couture". I did the following changes to Gail's wonderful design.
* I made the sleeves 2 inches longer to accommodate Carly's measurements. Gail's garment is really a swing jacket. I lengthened it 2 1/2 inches to get the length I wanted. The pattern is lined edge to edge so there was not much fudge room here. Therefore,
* I decided to make a free floating lining and do a faced hem to maximize the length I had available. I eked out every square inch of this piece of cashmere. On the lining you can see how it is just gathered and pressed flat in the pleat area. I thought if I did a pleated lining it would just bulk it up too much. this worked fine.
* I did bound buttonholes.
* I did a different configuration of the felted hearts on the coat. Just a personal design decision.
* I decided to do the big "hamburger" bullions on the collar only. All of the other hearts have more traditionally sized bullion roses.
* My fabric was 100% cashmere from Fabric Fix in Manchester, NH, purchased about two years ago. The lining was 100% cotton homespun.
* Buttons were covered with a lined piece of the homespun.
* Interfacing was a weft insertion. If I did this again I would use a much firmer interfacing for the collar front facing area. The soft cashmere really needed some stiffness up in the button area. Live and learn.
* This is Carly's winter dress coat and I know her mom will make good use of it. Carly and brother twinlet Zak attend a lot of birthday parties, going from the house to the van and back to the house. Carly will learn at a young age how to enter a room in a killer outfit. Doesn't every young lady need to know this? This won't be used for any outside play. Heaven forbid! So I did not do a flannel interlining. I had enough bulk to deal with as it was.
* Zakie is not forgotten. Grandma Bunbun will make him a felted Pendleton wool beret.
* Now Carly has her toile dress with the matching plaid piping, her cashmere cloche with the cockade, and her little cashmere swing jacket. Does it get any better than that?
And check out this picture DH took this AM thru the window on the door and the wreath, too cool.