Sewing Vloggers

Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Oopsie Shirt done good! McC 6076

I am fine with the Oopsie Shirt and really think I will get a lot of use out of it. I've decided it can be worn as a jacket with a cami or as a shirt. Either way, that back godet made the difference.


Pattern:
This is McCall's 6076, one of my TNTs. The collar is cut on, which I love. The sleeves are 3/4s with a slit and foldback cuff, my kind of sleeve, no buttons. It seems everything I make now has 3/4 sleeves. I find them just so comfortable. I read somewhere once that a woman's wrists look good, not matter what her weight or age. I think that stuck in my head somehow! I would definitely recommend this pattern. It has princess seams front and back, great for fit. But you all know how I had to change up the back!

For some reason this top was asking to be worn as a jacket and I like that.

Fabric:
The shirt is made from 100% cotton eyelet. I have no idea where I got it.  Half way through the project I realized that I put no effort into matching the eyelets, which you know I lost sleep over ; ). I was ready to wad it but a good night's sleep and a Eureka dream moment put the idea of a godet in my head. It really was driving me crazy enough that the eyelet pattern not matching affected my sleep!


Construction:
You can see how the godet totally takes your eye off of any pattern matching issues. It was easy to insert. I did curve the hemline longer than the shirt hemline as I knew it needed that to hang straight. You can see how that worked in the pick above.

Because of the sheerness of the fabric I did a few experiments to get the right seam treatment. I ended up pressing the seams open, cutting them back on each side to a 1/4 inch and then topstitching one eighth inch away on each side of the seam. I did this with all seams, including the godet. The hem was double topstitched. Classic white buttons with the BHs done on old Ken, the buttonhole king.

Other than the matching issues this is a really easy shirt pattern to make up and I highly recommend it. It s pretty conducive to embellishment and other interpretations. It would be great for a beginner not quite ready for a collar band type installation. Add in the princess seams to insure a good fit and you have a winner here.

I want to thank my hubby for taking these pics. We used my Galaxy tab. Not quite as sharp as the dead DSLR but Christmas is coming, someday.

***********************************************

In the queue are some jeans. The pattern is made and I hope to get to them soon. I am using the sloper and DVD from Sure Fit Designs. However, it's time for another vakay! Hubby and  I and some great lifelong friends are all headed for the Thousand Islands. While I hope to get another post in before leaving, I am not sure. Happy sewing....Bunny

37 comments:

  1. You are so clever! I have to admit to being very poor at pattern matching. Usually, I have barely enough fabric to go the distance anyway, but there is also the laziness factor. I love the godet. I think it makes the shirt very unique and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie. I usually am pretty good about matching but this time all that white made me not even think of it. Then when I looked at the back, yikes. So that's when I decided on the godet. Godets can come in really handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't look like an "oopsie" to me! Looks fantastic, it's a beautiful eyelet! Gorgeous pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things outside are really lush right now. Thanks, Kristine.

      Delete
  4. You really vamp it, girl ;-) It did turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! The godet gives it a bit of swing, too. Have a great trip, but where are the Thousand Islands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I messed up and answered below about the Thousand Islands.

      Delete
  6. They are in the St Lawrence Seaway between Canada and the US. Supposedly the best fishing east of the Rockies so that's planned. I am hoping we get to tour the Singer Castle. It is on an island and I've seen it from shore, spectacular. There are other castles to visit as well. Should be fun and good weather is predicted. Best part is we are going with our bestest friends since childhood. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bunny, I love how you changed the pattern up. The godet is inspired! I also love how you've used the blouse as a blouse and a jacket! The pictures are just fine and they show exactly what I want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooooo fabulous. I'm in love with the sleeves and their little detail. Looks gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This little number turned out fabulous, Bunny! It looks like half the tops in my closet, as I love that style, but non of mine have that pretty detail in the back. Brilliant idea to do a godet & a great save, although in the pictures, one can't see any difference in the eyelet pattern directions.

    I have made a note of the pattern number & may consider trying this one for myself, if I run out of quilts to do on my long arm.

    I'm in awe of your backdrop....HUGE hosta & everything is so lush. I guess all your massive winter snow amounts provide plenty of moisture. I don't have the shady glen that you do but I still have a few hosta. One pretty green & white one looks especially pretty with my purple Egyptian iris in bloom next to it. I should take a photo!

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rather than looking like an "oopsie", I think the godet makes this shirt! I'll definitely have to check out this pattern, remembering to change it up Bunny Style! Maybe another white garment in my summer wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bunny, I love the blouse! I also have a white eyelet blouse that I sometimes wear as a jacket. Your backyard is lovely btw. Confused about your abbreviation tho. What is a TNT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TNT = "tried 'n true" ... aka, a pattern that you know works for you, no matter what!

      Delete
  12. very nice save, Bunny, and a great "trick" to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it. I just got McCall's 6750 which is the same as your pattern. I'm really looking forward to sewing it up after seeing your inspirational shirt. The godet is a beautiful addition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely rescue. Another one of those times when a mistake becomes an opportunity, huh? Nicely done, and it looks great on you. I hope I remember to use that idea sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. EEEK!!!! You should hire a model...or at least someone to hide the imperfections!!!! I really wish that you would just post your sewing and not pictures of yourself. Maybe let the professionals do the pictures. Sewing is your craft. Not modeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your problem??!! I sense a grumbler from the previous post!

      I would much rather see garments on real people than on a dress form! I think the pictures are lovely.

      Delete
    2. The pictures are wonderful and real. I love the top.

      Delete
  16. I think that the godet has added a lovely feature to this blouse/shirt....................so its not an oopsie, its a creative design decision!
    Have a fabulous trip.
    Its lovely to see you out and about in your beautiful surrounds wearing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely blouse and the godet looks great - I have made this pattern up before, but in a fabric that I hated, seeing your blouse makes me want to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done it in a chambray and added tucks, Pauline. It's pretty versatile and accepting of embellishment.

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous outfit. Sharp photography is key to a good blog. My own suffers from lack of equipment and lack of an enthusiastic photographers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. My DSLR had a remote and I could hook it up to a tripod. Now I have to rely on my own version of Richard Avedon but he is getting better at it. I have found that using my tablet I can't get those good closeups of buttonholes and such and since this blog relies on that a lot we'll have to see a resolution soon.

      Delete
  19. Dear, your blog is amazing! i’m impressed by your design & photos!
    everything is magnificent!

    will be happy to see you in my blog)

    www.dianacloudlet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked it out. It's a visually stunning blog and love your style.

      Delete
  20. Just want to add it occurred to me that with this godet this could be a great style for those who carry weight in their midriff. I think it could camouflage a lot yet still give some feminine shape. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was my thought exactly. My midriff could use a great style !!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an elegant blouse. You look lovely

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...