Sewing Vloggers

Friday, March 1, 2019


This is what I have been working on. Please don't judge. It is in the most basic of many stages and far from having even that part complete, but I did want to share. It's been an interesting ride. I do think seeing it as a photo solidifies what I was seeing in my mind and will make it that much easier to correct issues I am seeing.  At this point, if you squint, it definitelylooks like my daughter. I loved working on her hair. At this point fabric pieces are laid down and secured with a bit of glue. Here's a closeup of the hair.


Every piece will be zigzagged down, then quilted and embroidered. I will probably add some angelina to the hair and embellish other parts of the portrait as well.

The bug to try this hit me when I saw a Sewing with Nancy Video entitled Sewing Art.   It snagged me right in. I started looking for photos and shopping for my 8 fabrics. I luckily have Photo Shop so proceeded as instructed with getting everything in order on PS to get this project going. While doing that I was so smitten with the technique that I started researching other books and found this one on Amazon.


Wiener's book took a totally different approach that appealed to me more than the first technique. Hmmmm,,,,,I think I'll go her way! And then, I kept searching.........

Nirvana!


Each artist has a different method for accomplishing their work. I will give in depth reviews when my project is done. Susan Carlson's book to me is more my style. She takes a free form approach but one requiring specific skill which she teaches in depth. I've seen her work in person and it is spectacular. She has a "no rules" sort of ease to her teaching and art and I really like that. By now my project is where you see it and I have confusingly employed techniques from all three artists. While this has made me feel awkward it has been a terrific learning experience. I've learned for my approach, Carlson's methods are the way to go and the next portrait, yes, there will be a next one, will be strictly using Carlson's methods. It is just so uncomplicated compared to the other two.

I have seen Susan Carlson's work up close and personal. At one time she owned a fabric shop in New Hampshire but long sold it to pursue her art. I took classes there, but not from her. She has an amazing sense of color that that really appeals to me and that the other two artists approached differently. I prefer her approach. This project has been very challenging and I am really enjoying it. There are so many layers to the process, much like making a tailored coat. So first I have to get all the fabric down the way I want. Then it will be glue it all down, then stitch it all down, then quilt it with free motion techniques, so not quite an overnight project. I really want to get a garment project going at the same time but this one and all its messy pieces of fabric, glues, etc, has taken over my work table for now. As soon as I can I will start a garment. There is much I need for the warm weather so I may even make a plan, not usually my style! So go back to the first picture, squint a bit, and you will see my daughter. Tomorrow I will redo all of the mouth area and start on her ear and clothing. .......Bunny

7 comments:

  1. Bunny, I think you have a spectacular start. I have tried this and it is even harder than it looks. I am very impressed and the hair is wonderful. I can't wait to see your next installment and read about the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's encouraging. I've done the teeth three times, following directions. I will do it a fourth time this morning and follow my gut. I followed my gut with the hair and am really pleased with that so the result just reinforced the fact that following my instincts might be the way to go. I've run into the same with sewing garments at time and when I didn't follow my instincts always regretted it. Thanks for your positive words.

      Delete
  2. Keep meaning to have a go at more textile art. Need. To. Set. Aside. Some. Time. This looks amazing by the way. Have a look at Shepard Fariey art works. His style would translate well to fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check out your suggestion and thanks so much for your thoughts, really appreciated. This is new for me. I think it is so important for someone my age to stretch myself and keep learning. I am always learning with my garment making for sure, but I am enjoying the frustrations of a new direction as well.

      Delete
  3. This is interesting to watch you work out your fiberly talents in a different medium...also planning isn't that bad! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled patterns today! and looked at my stash for possibilities. This project has made a disaster out of my workroom so a bit of cleanup is needed before I go in any type of direction.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your project and process with us. Almost two years back, a talented quit guild member hosted a workshop but I wasn't motivated at the time. Now I have been inspired by the desire to create a wedding gift for my son and future daughter-in-law, a reproduction of an artist's painting (with his permission of course) in fabric. When I looked at the style of the artist I was sure it would lend itself to this technique. I also had the pleasure of seeing Susan's work at the quilt show in Maine last summer, not knowing that I would be scrambling for information to learn about her techniques, less than a year later. I am not courageous enough to try a person; think I will stick to landscapes.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...