Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Sewing and Youtube



Covid has had an effect on all of us in so many varied ways. I am generally not a TV watcher but it has made me one. I haven't worked since March. During that time we purchased a new TV for our family room and while our other TV was a smart TV this had the casting built in and what seems like a thousand apps. We have really enjoyed it, particularly a lot of British and Australian programming as well as Youtube. It is great fun to watch youtube in high definition on a big screen. I've always known about sewing youtubers and would watch them now and then on my i-pad or desktop but it just wasn't the same as sitting in my nice comfy leather recliner with my favorite beverage. I tend to get up an hour or so earlier than my husband in these days of mass infection and staying home. It has been my secret indulgence to sit and enjoy sewing videos early in the AM. Wow, there are a lot and I find new ones every day. They are as different as apples and oranges and I really enjoy watching them. Eventually I came around to the idea of reviewing them for the blog and I hope you enjoy my thoughts about it all. 

I gave a lot of thought to this project. I put up a post on Pattern Review asking for suggestions and that was really helpful. So thank you, to all who helped me there. Youtube also starts sending me new videos to view as I watch more. The more you click, the more they send.You can't lose! In presenting them on the blog the challenge was how to fairly differentiate the types and discuss them. Here is what I came up with. 


I decided to break down the videos into several types. 

* The Passionate Entrepreneurs



    These are the sewists who have loved sewing all of their lives. They often have pursued degrees in design, or textiles or pattern making. This is a sign of their passion, not a requirement to be in this group. They may have apprenticed a couple years with a tailor or master seamstress and came out of that experience with great knowledge and a continued love of the craft. They have turned their love into a career. It is not a kitchen table pastime while they are home with the kids. They are vested and love it and work VERY hard at it. It is their career and for many they have been at it for quite some time. They inspire and know what they  are doing. They may not always do things your way or mine but they will teach you new ways now and then. Now, these sewists started out on their own and because of their skill and popularity may have been picked up by some corporate entity at a later date. They were just lucky that way, but, they started out on their own, worked hard, and share their passion through businesses that have now been around for years. They never relied on any corporate entity to enable their career. Corporations sought them out, at least some. Many have their own pattern lines, have written books, sell DVDs, etc. We all know many of them. They are business people as well as divine sewists so expect to be sold products. I don't have a problem with most of the selling as it keeps me up on the latest patterns and fabrics. Remember, sales is an exchange. They will present their or other's product for your perusal and in exchange you will get some top notch technique tutorials and sewing advice. 

*  The Corporate Sewists


  These are sewists who are affiliated strongly with particular corporate entities and did not have a video presence prior to that. They may have been bloggers or touring teachers for a sewing machine company but they weren't professional youtubers. They love sewing, are quite creative and are mostly good presenters. Their spots on the corporate TV programs, often PBS. are then edited out and presented on youtube individually. They do not make their videos or have an active  role in their production or ownership. They produce the project and present it from corporate studios.  Some of these are very good. Others tend to be fast, pressurized and leave out a lot of details. They probably wouldn't be on youtube without the corporate affiliation. They can inspire but are clearly under a time deadline so I find a lot can get missed by some presenters. Then again, some are more calm and prepared and leave you knowing how to perform the sewing task at hand. There is selling here as well, but indirect. The programs may be underwritten by a magazine, sewing machine company, etc and then put on PBS or eventually the Creative Channel, the home for all pre HD craft and food videos. 

The Girl Friend You Tubers

Joy Bernhardt is always so happy and it's contagious. 

     I think we all love the Girl Friend youtubers. These are the people we  visit with on sewing forums, facebook, instagram, etc. They love to chat sewing. Most are self taught and most continue to take lessons to improve their skills. Some are very opinionated and that is fun to hear as well, just like dishing with friends. Some are quite skilled and some are just plain not but are so dang funny or nice that is is fun to make them a part of your day. I am not comparing people here and that is why I have these divisions. So if I am telling you about a Girl Friend youtuber I am not going to expect her sewing to be that of the Sewing Entrepreneur and that is fine. It is all apples and oranges. I like watching the Girl Friends too and we will review these as well. I admire anyone who gets up and spends money on equipment and sits in front of a camera  day after day and lets it rip. I just can't imagine.

I have also tried to have a plan about how to actually review the youtubers. I've come up with a strategy. 

*Presentation:  Pretty much what it says. This also applies to presentation of the sewing. Is it sloppily done, done too quickly to even figure out what the person is doing, etc? Can you get what is happening and easily get it?  What are they presenting? Sew alongs, coffee talk, skilled technique, bad technique? Do they roll out of bed and webcast or are they wearing clothes they have made and are totally and professionally put together? What's their sewing room like? We are all curious about those. No compares here either. I'll just report. I would certainly flunk the sewing ambiance test with my current digs, but it functions wonderfully. Observations like that will be shared. 

* Technical observations: Is there a lot of aggravating background noise? Is the lighting awful? The camera work, etc. Is the dog always running across the camera begging for master's attention? Those sorts of issues. How are those great garments displayed? 

* What did I learn?  I think those who know me realize I've been sewing a while and know a fair amount about the subject. I can honestly say I have learned some new techniques and great information from some of these youtubers. It is one of the things that keeps me watching. So I will share this info as well. . It is such a great resource. I'll share what they inspired in me if they did. 

* Last of all, was it entertaining? We don't have to learn anything from these videos but I do say we have to be entertained to some degree or we won't watch. So, did they entertain us? 

I hope to put a tab up on my home page for "videos" and you can link to each review which will have a link to their channel. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Can't promise I will use them but I will listen. I am trying to keep this simple but fun for us all. I am waiting to hear if I will go back to work in a month. Lots is up in the air. In the meantime, I watch sewing videos................Bunny



13 comments:

  1. Great idea! Looking forward to this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can learn something new then I'm in lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Personally I prefer to read a blog than watch a vlog- probably because I read fast, and find some videos infernally slow and faffy, so that I want to skip ahead...in which case, what's the point? lol Most of the ones I've seen are admittedly of the 'girlfriend' category, and many have been so new to the game that they just make me want to correct their methods! It's probably because I taught myself, no books, no tutors, no videos, just a purchased pattern and sheer stubbornness. Horses for courses. Who knows though? Your reviews will no doubt expose me to some I've never looked at, and some may be fun! Thanks for doing the legwork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have soooo been looking forward to this ever since I saw the topic on PR. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have soooo been looking forward to this ever since I saw the topic on PR. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm like DementedFairy. I only watch videos to learn something (YT is coming in handy with my machine knitting adventures!!) because I can't stand the several minutes of mindless chitchat prior to the meat and potatoes and I read much faster than most can talk/demonstrate.

    Watching instructional videos on the tv though? Uhmm, YEAH! So much additional detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree exactly - I find them a waste of time as there is too much talking, my limit for watching a technique is about 1 minute. Also I feel that any time watching videos takes away from actually doing things - so it's just not for me.

      Delete
    2. Can I get in on this too! I've tried to watch a few of the girlfriend type youtubes and all I think is you know you put up a 19 minute video to hear yourself talk because there was actually 6 minutes of useful information here. Then the fact that so much information is aimed at beginner sewists is also a turn-off...so I'm looking forward to your list Bunny!

      Delete
  7. Ohh, this is going to be great! Looking forward to your reviews, Bunny! My YouTube consumption habits have grown so much during confinement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fun! Can’t wait to see your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've found that watching YouTube videos at 1.25 or 1.5 speed can be very helpful. I can then rewind to the places that I need to pay more attention to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am quite enjoying the videos. I get a lot of knitting done and entertained at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...