Sewing Vloggers

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Sewing Onward! Hooray!



This is the time when many bloggers regale you with tales of how many yards of their fabric stash they have sewn up over the past year. They may tell you how many patterns they have sewn or even purchased. The numbers  of tops and skirts and pants tumble forward as they recall their efforts for 2020.  Some of those efforts are downright amazing given what 2020 has dealt us. And, some sewists can tell you the THOUSANDS of masks they have sewn and the lives they have touched as we have all experienced this pandemic. My sewing friend and fabulous bagmaker Jill Goldsmith can. She went from making hundreds of masks for those who needed them to fulfilling the needs of hospitals and nursing homes to setting up workrooms throughout Florida.  When PPE was at a premium in those early months Jill provided  PPE for our precious health care workers as prescribed by the professional health care community. She organized  an army in  Florida working to provide what was needed in hospitals and nursing homes. Anyone who knows her knows Jill is a force to be reckoned with. She can make a mask. She can make a beautiful bag. She can get masks of high quality out to thousands of professionals and organize an army to help her do that. Jill is amazing and I am so proud to know her. She is a very good friend of my daughters. Jill is now recuperating from surgery on her hands. Any wonder? Need I say more about this angel? These are some of the people that sewing has brought to the fore in 2020, angels like Jill Goldsmith.

 I made masks for friends and family as they needed them. Mask making was hard.  I found my isolation and disconnect very difficult. I  missed milestones planned and dreamed of for years hard to handle. I had many days of tears coming and going, sleepless nights and anxiety over this pandemic that were further fueled by political unrest and division.  I am not like my friend for various reasons. Wish I was. But I powered through and sewing was my comfort. Letting it be my comfort gets  and got me through. I am so thankful for that. I have several good friends, met over the years of blogging and sewing that were in the same place as I was. We helped each other through. It was good to know I was not alone. I am in a better place now. 2020 is behind. I am learning about and practicing mindfulness. I like it. I see light at the end of this tunnel but am in the moment and my husband and I are so enjoying each moment as we are blessed with them. So you will get no garment counts here or yards removed from my available resources. Instead will share just a handful of things that I am particularly proud of. 

I share garments that were challenging to make, that I felt I mastered for whatever reason and that I have worn a lot. They are not hanging in my closet as monuments to my sewing skills. These are the things I have made and really enjoyed wearing. 

I could not wear these flow-y rayon cullottes enough.

My cropped linen top ended up being a VERY practical garment and a lot of fun to wear. 

This vest, has become exactly what I wanted it to be, a cuddly, warm throw on. Love this!

Some new things I tried in 2020:

Keep in mind, I've been sewing decades, but I am always learning and discovering new things in sewing. I try to keep my mind open to them all. 

* Linda Lee of Sewing Workshop showed me on one of her FB videos how to use poly mesh as a lining for flow-y sheer fabrics. Works great! I talk about that here. 

* I made a couple of tanks with shelf bras. I have since learned a better way to make them and will use that new technique next time I do a tank top. Thank you, Whitney of Tom Kat Stitchery. 

* Made myself my own underwear as in in nice, pretty undies. I am very proud of those. They are so comfy and so much easier to make than I thought. Thank you Megan Nielsen for your free pattern. Fit me perfectly and I love the style.

* I started using 100% cotton thread for all my wovens and keeping the poly thread for my knits. I fought this for years but Linda Lee convinced me and I decided to experiment. I was not impressed but with the current construction of a white shirt I get it. My topstitching and seams do not have the slightest pucker to them, something inherent to poly threads. Poly threads have a bit of stretch that happens as they are wound on their spools and perfectly flat stitching can sometimes be the sacrifice. For now I will continue with this new lesson learned. I really see the difference on my  white shirt.

Some minor sewing accomplishments in 2020:

* I began searching out and making clothing with elastic waists. This is more  about wearing what is comfortable than anything else. So far, so good. Linda Lee's patterns have great elastic waist designs.

* I'm discovered new designers in and out of the Big Four. I LOVE Mimi G's patterns. They have details that are so well executed and that are so lacking in 95% of patterns out there. I am sitting on pins and needles right now waiting for one of her OOP designs that is stuck in the mail. Can't wait to get my hands on it.  I've also returned to Sewing Workshop designs and really like the Picasso pants that I have made two of already. She has a unique viewpoint to her construction methods and I like it.  

* I made my first pair of real pleated, full legged trousers in years and I absolutely love them. There will be more. So comfy and feminine. 

* I've gotten quite utilitarian and resource conscious as I sewed through my queue and then had no where to wear all my pretty clothes. I've made undies, aprons, scarves from leftovers, tank tops from leftovers, pants slips. Is this the equivalent of killing time with sewing? I sure hope not. I really like to be thrifty and mindful of the resources I have and I hate waste. I guess these items are also palate cleansers of a sort. 

* Inspired by Peggy Sagers, I tried some of her brilliant cut and sew ideas for wraps and mini ponchos. I love that she shows how these are actual knockoffs of very big ticket designer items. It was a lot of fun making these projects and so easy. 

* I read the entire manual on my newest serger during lockdown. Uh, seems I should have done that a long time ago. I learned a lot. Yes, this was an accomplishment.

And now 2021 awaits!!!

It will be better. I know it will. I have plans.

* My husband and I are building an extension table for my Pfaff. I priced them and it is no financial issue to buy one but I am sorry I am not paying those ridiculous prices! I did a lot of research, we both hit Lowe's and tomorrow we hope to put it all together. Yay! I'll have a detailed blogpost coming on that. 

* I hope to add variety to my creative endeavors in 2021 beyond sewing. I really would like to get into free motion quilting but on art pieces, not quilts. Think landscapes, portraits, still lifes, etc. That is why I want the table!

* I would like to be more coordinated about my clothing. We will see how far that gets. 

* I REALLY want to get into Visible Mending. I have been researching and practicing and it intrigues me intensely. I am waiting for some waste canvas to arrive to help me with that process. Our local shop is without as is Joann's. I can't wait to play with a couple of sweaters I have. It just fascinates me and some of it is so very artistic. High priority on this one. 

* Make lots more undies! Just too much fun. 

* At the moment I have no big clothing goals other than the White Shirt I am working on right now that I need badly. I would like to make some cool sweat shirts but I just can't find the right fabric yet. I'm getting closer. With no big clothing goals and no big events on the horizon and a closet full of casual clothes I need to expand my creativity into other areas. I will. I think that will be a wonderful journey of discovery. I will like that. 

May you all put the old year behind and be blessed with a fabulous, healthy, and creative New Year!!! Love you all!!!...........Bunny

25 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you and your family. Love your makes and how you write how you went about creating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacqianne. Same to you and your family. Hope you get some happy sewing in next year, too.

      Delete
  2. You did well in maintaining your sanity and enjoying the solitude of 2020. Thank you for the details. Can we still buy lingerie elastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time finding anything locally. I was referred to and found a great resource in SewSassy.com. They are all about lingeries supplies. The prices are awesome and they have everything you need; quick turnaround too.

      Delete
  3. Hmm. I’ve got waste canvas from projects never done in maybe 1988? I MIGHT need to jump onto both the visible mending AND the Swedish death cleaning crazes. I also want to make my own drop in table for my ocean liner sized machine because those prices ARE offensive, but also I can’t afford them. I waited a long time and found a deal on the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swedish Death Cleaning? I don't even want to know about that! Stay tuned. I have my extension table all in clamps right now. Hubs and I got it put together yesterday and I think it will work fine. I just have to do the fine tuning, waxing, etc. There will be a whole blog post on how we did it. It is pretty straight forward. It is not half inch poly carbonate but it is smooth and nice and large and I think it will work well. Watch this channel, ;)

      Delete
  4. I can relate to your sentiments during the 2020 pandemic year - not fun. It was also hard for me to keep up the sewing mojo, but I continued to sew and create for sanity, just as you did. I think there were so many of us in the same boat.

    I love that you can share the things that you learned during the year - accomplishments both big and small. :) I look forward to seeing what you create this year!!! Happy New Year and may this year bring blessings, health and joy to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, Kathy. It will be better. I am really feeling a pull to spread my creative wings. I think it is all this being home. I have 2 1/2 more weeks home for now. Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, I'll follow you into visible mending. One of my daughters would love it if I added those skills to my repertoire! I've also started the Swedish Death Cleaning, which really needs a better name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that the visible mending can really be an expression of creativity. I can't believe I will go to the thrift shop and look for good items that are worn out with holes once the germs clear!

      Delete
  6. What kind of fabric are you looking for in regard to your sweatshirt project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something beefier than French Terry but not as heavy as fleece. I did see some nice things on Emmaonesock but just hate that I can't actually feel the fabric and drape it over my fist. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  7. What wonderful success for you. I, too, am a prolific stitcher this year. Retiring at end of 2019, I laughed that I had bought my fabrics for my retirement. Hee Hee. What a surprise was Ms Rona! I have made comfortable clothes and finished so many projects.
    My request if you would: the name of the fuzzy vest you made. I wear them around my old farmhouse and this looks so stylish.
    Okay if you do not, but as one who has survived...
    Thanks Pegeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is New Look 6397. It is really easy to make. I sized down the pockets for "petiteness" but that was about it. I love this pattern.

      Delete
  8. Happy new year Bunny! The cropped linen top and outfit are fantastic. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That top is Mimi G. Her garments have such detail. Can't wait to get and show you my next pattern of hers. Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  9. Happy New year. Like you, I found comfort in sewing last year. I love reading about the garments that you made. You are very inspiring. Here's to an awesome 2021 filled with projects that bring us joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Towanda. I always enjoy seeing your smile pop up in my comments. Happy New Year to you, too.

      Delete
  10. As ever, thanks so much for this thoughtful post, Bunny. I too, have struggled a great deal with anxiety the past year. Pretty much crippling actually. But I did force myself to sew and it helped. I have let off making garments due to lack of enthusiasm for things just to hang in my closet. But I make collage landscapes and other art quilts. I highly recommend Art Quilting, a wonderful stimulating magazine. You can get it at JoAnns. Can't wait to see your new table. Oh, and I finally bought a new machine after 15 yrs with my Bernina (which I kept). I bought a Juki model Haruka, a great machine! Have waited for years to make this change. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely seek out that magazine. I hear you on the anxiety. While I have dealt with it off and on through the years it really sort of disappeared and then Covid reared it's ugly head and much changed. But I am trying to practice ways of dealing and they help. I wish the same for you. It can be debilitating. I am lucky to have a partner who gets it, too. Right now I feel in a good place and thank you for your comments. Art quilting, the Susan Carlson type, has great appeal to me.

      Delete
  11. Has cosido mucho en ésta pandemia y te has visto recompensada con la comodidad de las prendas que has creado y la gran ayuda que es la costura durante el confinamiento, coser es maravilloso, amo la costura.
    Te felicito por tener tantos proyectos para éste 2021. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, querída. Esperamos que ésta pandemia se quitará lo más pronto posible. Grácias a Dios por la costura. Besicos.

      Delete
  12. Here's to 2021 filled with sewing successes. I have heard Linda Lee say that cotton thread should be used for woven fabrics, but she never explained why. You have, so many thanks! I stopped doing alterations in March and have had a great time getting several patterns fitted - remotely which is a longer process but it works. Today I drove the 90 minutes to G St Fabrics in suburban DC and found several woven fabrics in their discount room - for wearable muslins I hope. But, I also stopped by their Mettler display and bought the silk finished cotton, so I will now see if my seams are flatter. Keep up the detailed and informative posts. Mary Jackson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. That G Street was one of my favorite stores back in the day. My sis lived in Herndon for years and we would make a day of it whenever I would visit. I love Mettler's silk finished cotton, beautiful thread. Many sewing successes to you, too!

      Delete
    2. Happy New Year..may it be more hopeful than the last! Congratulations on your productive year (and inspiring me to the possibility of making my own 'knickers').
      I've investigated cotton vs poly thread for years, and although I despise plastic overuse I find that poly thread is more durable. (I'm also a quilter...another reason why I love cotton thread.) On the mask making treadmill I've used both, and the cotton Aurifil thread has actually worn out, or "popped" on lots of my personal masks. (I wash them A LOT.) On the other hand I have quilts from the 1940s that I've washed hundreds of times and are still going strong. Hmmmm.....
      I believe that we live in the "same neck of the woods". I'm on a mountaintop over the Cambridge lakes. I'm thankful that I have been able to walk daily since May to help clear the Corona fog. (This has gotten very challenging with the recent weather.)
      I look forward to seeing what you're up to this year!

      Delete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...