Sewing Vloggers

Sunday, February 7, 2021

Another Inspired shirt !

 


When I find a design I really love, I tend to make two or three of them in pretty short order. I went to my local quilt shop and back in the area where they have garment fabrics, which are mighty fine by the way, I found this Japanese fabric that up close looks and acts more like a linen. It is all cotton. It's a bit funky and the grey is rather muddy which the computer doesn't pick up that well.  I decided it needed to be the same design as the lovely white tablecloth shirt I just posted previous to this one. 


It took me 1 3/8 yard of 45 inch fabric to make this little top which started out as McCalls 8144 for knits. All I kept was the neckline and it's center front seam and moved on to a woven.  You can see all the construction on the previous post but I will point out a few highlights I did differently on this one


On this version you can better see the shape of the front hem. It is one inch shorter at center front than it is where it meets the side seam. It looks very cropped on my dummy but it totally covers my waistband and a bit of my tummy below. If  you look at the pics in the last post you will see  no skin at all shows when I wear it. 

You will also notice in the second iteration that the cowl is much more pronounced . This is because this is a lighter weight fabric than the cotton damask used in the white version.  I really like this effect. 


This time I cut a bias facing and it was understitched and then turned and catch stitched to the top.  I was careful to pull just a couple of threads so they wouldn't show on the public side. 


It's a bit confusing but what you see above is the invisible zipper opened up to show you the neckline facing. On the original it was handstitched to the zipper. Here you can see that the invisible zipper was installed on serged seam allowances and the big facing piece was machine stitched to the zipper and turned, a nice clean finish that I often forget to do.  It really is so easy with inviz zips too. 



Once again, on the back, I have the yoke going across and the inviz zip in the middle going up the neck so I could easily get this over and on for dressing. It was easy.  This print was very random and I did not bother to match at all.  I tried and tried but could not pull it off at any point that would let it match on the opposite side.

I just want to comment that I think this is a cute top but would be really great for those of us of a certain age. There is wonderful flattering neck camouflage, and the sleeves show some skin for ventilation yet are still pretty flattering. I am really also into shorter tops the past couple years as I find they flatter my petite height better. It's a good proportion for me. So version #2 of my inspiration top has been put together until warmer times. I think it will look great with jeans. 

I am going to put sewing garments aside for a bit and work on a couple of other creative projects I have going on. I feel like I am just making clothes to fill up my closet at this point. I have my vax scheduled and am looking forward to life going on. I am going to try some other creative endeavors in the meantime, some bead weaving and some pictorial quilting. I will blog about them as they get interesting. 


Happy Sewing!



12 comments:

  1. It's a great style. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you get that vax, find out what the ingredients are... ask what Rna does, how it is supposed to work, what the side effects have been so far. (be informed, because there is no undoing this)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two doctors and one very experienced RN in my very immediate family. One currently works in a clinic with pregnant moms with covid about to deliver. Her specialty is high risk pregnancy. They are all over this and me. Thanks for your concern and I really appreciate your caring.

      Delete
  3. Flawlessly done!

    I've now had two doses of Pfizer. Both shots went smoothly. I now know 12 friends and family who have had two doses of Pfizer. All went smoothly. Two had slight flu like symptoms that came on approximately five hours after administration and symptoms resolved within 24 hours. All I had was soreness at the injection site. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Urbanite. I've been well instructed on side effects, particularly those that come after the second dose. Thank you for caring.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful garment, stunning fabric and your attention to sewing details is wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am interested in trying your invisible zip in the back. I do not like the look of the key hole opening that seems to be in a lot of pullover tops because my upper back is round and fleshy and I don't want it showing. Thank you for all your great tricks and tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do this. Adding a yoke and center back seam in the yoke is the answer. Also, the yoke is a perfect vehicle for a rounded back adjustment. You can google or youtube that alteration pretty easily and do that before you put the zip in. I'm not a fan of back keyhole openings at this stage of my life either. Bending back to hook them closed is not the easiest. Good luck on your journey.

      Delete
  6. This is such a great little top! I loved the first one, and this one is just as good. The print colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning and funky at the same time! As always you show the best directions and photos to inspire us, Bunny! Thank you for showing us that Spring is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...