Sewing Vloggers

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

A couple of quickies!

 


I recently came across a couple of brilliant sewing tips I thought I would share. First, the above are buttons covered in silk from a silk dress that was given to me. See, I know someone who knows someone who works in a thrift store in a very affluent neighborhood and they get some really lovely things donated.  The friend of a friend I do know but neither of these friends live near me. Well, she always has her eye out for something I could use to either harvest for fabric or actually wear. She knows my size and style. About 2-3 times a year she sends me a bag with 4 or 5 garments, that's all. I'd say she has an 80% success rate and what doesn't work I donate locally. This last bag had a totally 80s silk dress out of the most beautiful royal blue silk jacquard. I harvested the fabric and was almost going to dis the buttons when I looked closely at them. Maybe you have, but I have never seen a covered button like this or this construction referred to in anything I've read. The top of the covered button has the fabric wrapped around to the back like any other covered button. But the piece of metal in the back that snaps into the back of the button to hold that top fabric tucked in is also covered. That back covered piece was stitched right thru on the garment. If you look closely you can see the little holes from the stitches.  What a beautiful application! I can't wait to try this on a blouse. It just blew me away.



My other great tip that I really can't remember where I found, is to take tissue paper  and cut it into a pile of short strips and use these as starters for thin fabrics or folded up as mini hump jumpers if needed. Once I got this pile next to my machine I found I was using them constantly. Being tissue they are so easy to just rip off and toss. I just need to figure  a good way to store them neatly next to the machine. 

Work continues on my ditsy floral shirt and not much is left to do, just the button band and sleeves. I am through all the hard part and will have much to say in my review.  Today is the first day of my new retired life and I am so enjoying it already.  I have so much sewing planned and will make two more hats quickly and then some dresses for summer.  My work did not allow for dresses, too impractical but now I am moving on to what I saw one sewist today refer to as the "new house dress", nice, feminine dresses that are comfy. Seems people want to leave behind the year and a half of slovenly but comfortable clothing that no one really saw and breakout in nicer duds, even if  just around the house.  Do I hear the possibility of June Cleaver's pearls and heels? Oh, Ward...........................Bunny

14 comments:

  1. What beautiful buttons... Never seen anything like them before. Hope you get to use them with the rescued fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is gorgeous. It had long sleeves and a below knee skirt and buttoned down from neck to hem, so a good bit of fabric. There is enough to make a beautiful lining. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. Some years ago, near where I worked, there was a little shop that only carried buttons or made very select buttons. Sometimes I would just go there to study, the shop was only 12 feet wide and about 30 feet deep, floor to ceiling button drawers and a tiny work table in the back. I would think they made items like this. A lost art. I am anxious to see how you copy it. PS, I also use deli paper that I get from restaurant supply to stabilize slippery or thin fabrics. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Celka. Already pre cut. As far as the buttons, I am thinking a circle of fabric is gathered around the back piece and pulled tight and stabilized with some glue. Then it is popped into the top piece which has a bit of glue on the edges. At least that is how I would approach it. It would be fun just to play with the idea.

      Delete
  3. I love the notion of house dresses. I have been thinking lately of aprons or smocks with big pockets. It seems like I'm always carrying something around with me. I'm 50% retired and looking forward to the other 50% next June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pattern of choice has loose sleeves, no waist and pockets as well. Can't wait! I am retired 3 days and loving every minute. You will too, Carol!

      Delete
  4. Hi there Bunny and all of your lovely followers,
    I recognize the treatment of these buttons, as here in the U.K if you choose to have your buttons covered in the fabric of your choice when working on your own projects ( I cover mine myself) then this is the treatment they use. It is so very pretty isn't it. How you have described the process to Celka is I believe how it is done. I also think that if you fuse interfacing onto the little circles you can then turn under the edge a little and use fabric glue without the need to gather the fabric to produce a smoother finish.
    The tip about paper is great and I note that some sewists recommend bits of non fusible interfacing. I think that there are quite a few scraps that could be successfully used up in our sewing rooms.
    Isn't it great to learn all the little hints, tips and tricks to elevate our work. So glad to see you in my inbox Bunny. Please keep safe and well. Love the hats you have been making and I am sending you just the biggest virtual hug I can. You are the most amazing sewist I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also used spray starch on flimsy fabrics and find that this works well to stablize them whilst cutting out and also machine sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Your the first to say you've seen this. I use that spray starch trick all the time. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I've also been feeling the pull to sew dresses ... more a factor of reaching the age at which my grandaunt decided to only ever wear shirtdresses, than because I stayed at home during the pandemic. (I came to work all year, alone in the office. I dressed up because it made me feel better to do so.)

    Isn't it nice to be able to dress ourselves as we wish, instead of having to rely only on ready-mades in a shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! One thing Covid taught me is that I am really sick of jeans. I wear them now and then, still the more slim fitting, but I really find them uncomfortable compared to other options. I also do not care for clothing which is body con, whether top or bottom and never have. I made one Jalie body con type some years back. Got lots of compliments, couldn't stand it. Maybe it's my convent upbringing. I just don't feel confortable in that look. So the concept of a house dress, comfy and feminine, is right up my alley. Yes, Lin, it's great we can do our own thing!

      Delete
  7. I love wearing dresses, especially in the Arizona heat and wear them at least 6 - 8 months of the year!

    I was the beneficiary of a former dressmaker's sewing stash and found some of those covered buttons there. Along with a very nice collection of silks and a large amount of ultra suede fabric among other treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No dresses on my radar! You're lucky to have a friend who can find such nice things in a thrift. I seem to be in the middle of a sea of sad polyester or acrylic garments.

    Those buttons are interesting. The book 50 Heirloom Buttons to Make has very similar buttons in it. It looks like the steps are simple, but I wonder how I'd do handling all those little bits and keeping everything lined up right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where I live now the thrift store are all simply used Walmart garments. I do get a find now and then on household items but clothing, no such luck. Even the wedding gowns look cheap.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...