Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

So not a planner, but.............

 


I am not one of those sewists who does modules or plans out their wardrobes. I am one of those crazy babes who is always looking for the next shiny object. Really, isn't that just as OK? It works for me. I see a great bottomweight, I buy it and then maybe find a top fabric and pattern that will be perfect.  Or I will get seduced by a print, and will move all of creation to fit it into my wardrobe.  Bottom line, I love textiles of all sorts and I fall in love with them and fit them into my wardrobe. When I was a teen I had a neighbor who designed textiles for a manufacturer in neighboring New Bedford. I forget how this arrangement happened but my mom became very good friends with her.  Next thing I knew I was cleaning her apartment, at the age of 14, for  TONS of fabric samples, hot off the looms. She designed them and had to run samples before the company would commit to manufacture. Some made the cut, some failed. Either way, she discovered  I was an easy touch and thrilled to receive yards and yards of fabric every week, straight from the mill, her original designs. all for the price of dusting and vacuuming her home.  A little swish and and swipe in an already clean bathroom and I was had. 

I never knew what Marsha would bring me. I don't think she even knew. But it all made me happy. I would have fabulous conversations with this 50 year old about fabrics and dyes and the process and I was only 14. We would talk about her working as a very young woman in the garment district in NY city and working her way up the ladder. I remember, that as a single woman doing business in a tough industry my parents often accompanied her on dinner meetings with international contacts. She said she felt "safer".  Bottom line, I will blame the incredible Marsha Shear and her amazing design talents as well as her mentoring of a young girl who loved fabrics for the fact that I just don't do "plans".  I am ready for whatever comes in my door to be sewn and I will love it, enjoy sewing it and will make it work in my wardrobe. That gives me joy. Thank you so much, dear Marsha, for inspiring me with those amazing bags of your original designs. You so loved color.


Fabrics paired of with patterns:



I am currently working on this Kathryn Brenne pattern that I have been drooling over forever. Once again I am using the Sevenberry fabric found at my LQS and sold by Kauffman.  This version, however, is an oatmeal and navy colorway despite it looking different in the pic. It is a Japanese fabric and 100% cotton. All seams are being Hong Kong'ed with the print fabric you can see peeking out, a Nicolle Miller design. I am near done and can't wait to share with you the completed project. This is a great pattern.  I am really pleased with the fit. 


My sister came up recently for a visit and we are now both retired and both crazy garment sewists. I took her to my Local Quilt Shop, which is amazing, and has some quality fabrics for garments as well. They get more all the time and are often of high end Japanese origin. We had a blast shopping and compare notes each week since. She is up in Maine. What you see above is a cotton knit with a tiny bit of spandex that I will make into Mimi G turtleneck. I think I will need to tighten up the collar and may ditch the corner detail for the first effort. I love her details but am on the search for a basic Turtleneck. 


I fell in love with this flannel the minute I saw the deep, intense  red. I recently had seen this blouse made up so that the upper right corner of the bodice had narrow ties to the shoulder seam and there were also ties holding up fold up sleeves. I loved the casual look and look forward to making this. I know I will get a lot of wear out of this pairing. I have so many bottoms that will work along side this top. 



Another paired fabric is this Telio rather Picasso-esque rayon challis that I will turn into this floaty top below. 

This one will  happen soon as I love this print and you can see there is not much going on in that department right now. This is a really interesting pattern. 


Unpaired fabrics:


I have been holding on to this fabric for a couple years now. I think it came from Apple Annie's and I am determined to sew it up for this winter. I am considering the Kathryn Brenne top in the second photo. It is an exquisite cotton velveteen. Sigh,,,,,,,,The fit on the Brenne pattern is wonderful so I am ready to go on this one. Next.....


 This is a very fine wale, I'm guessing 21 wale, picked up at my LQS, again. It is superb quality and of course I am thinking slacks, some pleated trousers. I have already made a slouch hat out of a small amount but there is plenty left to play with. I will probably just use my Sure Fit sloper. It really is lovely. 



Another piece of corduroy, this time no wale and in a tiny blue and black houndstooth check. It will be great for slacks or a barn jacket, aka, "Shacket". This is not high on the list but it will get used soon enough. 

The SCORE of all SCORES:

In accumulating fabrics for winter sewing I am not above considering all sorts of opportunities. The blue cord above was gleaned from a local church affiliated thrift shop. I haven't gone to GoodWill in sometime as I am finding their clothing simply donated fast fashion and other than household needs, their merch just doesn't interest me. Yesterday I needed a basket. I am doing a donation for a group I belong to and wanted a big nice basket for bargain prices. I went into Goodwill, straight to where the baskets usually are and there was ONE, just one basket! Luckily it was exactly what I needed and three dollars. So what they hay, I decided to pour thru the racks. I was on my last rack and something caught my eye. 



 This garment had Asian tags on it, even a price, all of which meant nothing to me


What took my breath away, however, was the fabric. I could be wrong and the label may say otherwise but it looked like silk chiffon to me. It just did not have that poly feel at all and was light as air . It was nicely made, fully self lined and held lots of yardage in an amazing border print. 

The fabric was gorgeous, the colors saturated and if ever there was a digital print this was it so the age of this garment had to be recent. This skirt would be close to my ankles. I have been mooning over similar digital prints from Lady McElroy lately and then this jumps into my line of sight!  It was meant to be. 


It is very floaty and would make a lovely top. At the least it could be an amazing scarf or two for gifts. It won't get forgotten. 

I have much to keep me busy all winter. Did you notice how nothing is part of anything else, no plans, no modules? Did you also notice how happy it all makes me feel? Life is too short for me to structure my sewing . I could care less if I have six pieces that make 36 outfits. I want amazing. .............Bunny


15 comments:

  1. You are inspiring me! 🧵🪡❤️❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give credit to the fabrics. They inspire me. My Brenne jacket is near done. I am so happy with that one and can't wait to show you all. I think it will definitely become a Tried and True.

      Delete
  2. Loved this post---and oh, my goodness your plans for sewing! Looking forward to seeing your garments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't sew them fast enough. I have a bit of gardening to get in during the next week as we are down to the wire for that and now I am healthy enough to do the hard work. So I will squeeze that in but those fabrics are what I have set up for winter. I've also seen some "Boro" sewing that intrigues me.

      Delete
  3. I'll be watching for your turtle neck pattern search. I've been looking too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can get a really good knockoff of my LL Beans I will be very happy and you will definitely know!

      Delete
  4. great post--thnx for the shout-out for 'free-ranging sewists'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I listen to a lot of sewing podcasts and youtubes and lately all I hear is modules and plans. I am not about to let my self or anyone else lose their sewing joy because we "free range" as you say. Great term for our philosophy!

      Delete
    2. I think if a person sews enough something will always go with something else.

      Delete
  5. I’ve mostly given up on “plan” sewing. This past year I’ve been having my LH go to the fabric closet and pick out something random, or something that he likes. It’s then up to me to figure out what to do with it. It forces me to get a bit more creative and also ensures that I don’t play favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whichever way you play it, artistic challenge is always good.

      Delete
  6. So much eye candy to look at. I started to read this post on my phone but this post required a big screen at the desk top. So many things to look forward to seeing in future posts. I appreciate your story telling and how your love of fabric began.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. My love of fabric actually began with my grandmother but my friendship with Marsha certainly fueled it. There is quite a story that goes along with one particular dress that I made from a very bright silky fabric. I think I will save that for a blogpost. It's not the most uplifting but it is quite a story and even a bit scary. More to come I think.

      Delete
  7. Loved your post about you and Marsha and of course your beautiful fabrics. I look forward to your posts and now even more so between the anticipation of your "particular dress" story and your creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will have to tell that one now! It was about a shirtwaist dress I made from a brightly colored wide stripe fabric, rather silky. More to come!

      Delete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...