Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

The Sapphire Sewist, and thoughts

 


I see great work  as I cruise around the web, so very much of it but last week I was truly amazed by the efforts of one Mother of the Groom and her dress for her son's wedding. It was so impressive and she was so very beautiful in her dress. First let me tell you about Mom. She clearly knows her way around a needle but she said she hadn't sewn much in a long time. She looked healthy and happy and carried the posture and build typical of a women who had climbed the fence to the other side of menopause. Her hair was natural, a short and lovely blend of gray and light brown, done up in small curls. If I would compare her appearance to anyone, maybe Madeline Albright Now the dress she made --- it was stunning, Alencon lace in Sapphire blue, a color that lit up her skin and eyes. The style was so lovely on her and so refreshing to see. She confidently clothed herself in a skimming sheath with a defined waistline that ended at the perfect spot on her still lovely legs. She was neither thin nor athletic but she refused to layer her feminine post meno curves in the  long layers of a chiffon duster or cardi to cover up a dissatisfaction with what time had done to her body. Her biceps were soft looking, full, and no doubt strong from years of hard work and lifting up others yet she let  lined sapphire lace, using the smallest bit of ease, show off their strength. The fully lined  lace barely skimmed her arms and fit beautifully, no diagonal wrinkles anywhere. The sleeves ended  at the crease of her armpit horizontally where they met a stretch illusion mesh that perfectly matched her skin tone. If not for the style I never would have known it was there. The motifs of the lace floated unevenly from her sleeves and onto the illusion of skin. That mesh camouflaged her choice of an exposed neckline but without the starkness of a strapless bodice. This was because from the bodice upward and from her shoulders as well, were exquisitely placed appliques of the sapphire blue lace motifs. She did all this work herself and she said it was her design. Her waistline, probably wider than her hips, was bravely indicated with a belt of the same lace, about an inch wide, and a small, but lovely covered buckle., all in perfect proportion and very flattering.  It looked beautiful. Her sheath dress, while not on a slim woman, was pegged at the bottom hem. In her sewing wisdom she knew this tiny bit of shaping at the bottom of her dress would be oh so flattering and her design would have said "matronly" so loudly if it fell directly straight down from the widest part of her hips. Wow, did she know how to make her design work and flatter her mature body! I stared at her picture the longest time and could not get her image out of my head. This woman was the Mother of the Groom. She was a Sewist but admittedly, not often.  Her skills, both technical and design, were incredible. She was confident. She dressed her beautiful mature body FEARLESSLY. She was Stunning and no couturier in Paris could have done a better job of dressing her for her son's big day. She looked like a lovely and kind soul as well. She is one of the most beautifully dressed women I have ever seen and I celebrate her. When I see a sewist do work like this it just takes my breath away. This is why we try to do better. This is why we try all sorts of methods to find the best that works for the garment. This is why we sample, over and over, why we press, why we follow fashion, why we have those full length mirrors and try our clothes off and on again, over and over, why we care. I know there are many of you Sapphire Blue Sewists out there. Let's be confident about ourselves, our skills, our look, like our MOG. Let's put our knowledge to work for ourselves and hopefully by doing that we can inspire others. The Sapphire Blue Sewist  certainly inspired me and I won't forget her.

**********************************


"I 'm 64 and have been sewing over fifty years. I look in the pattern books and can't find anything to make. Everything looks too young." Exact quote here from a forum I visit.  

Well, I am older than you, madam,  and I shop out of those same pattern books all the time as do many women our age  and we find plenty to sew.  You are looking at the models with their exquisitely perfect faces and figures for which they are well paid to be photographed in those pattern versions. They are young.  They are models. You and I are not. The clothing you are looking at is totally wearable with the right fabric, good fit and a positive attitude. Stop looking at the models and comparing your 64 year old self and wishing for other.  Start looking at the line drawings of the designs. They will tell you more about the pattern than anything else. Scroll thru this blog and that of the many sewists in the blog roll on the right or those of the posters who comment here. Your comment that the garments are too young for you to wear is just wrong.  Accept who you  are, where you are, and get sewing. I bet you are a wonderful, attractive 64 year old.  Excuses, excuses, excuses...........

*************************************

Overheard recently on the Seamwork Podcast, which I really enjoy, BTW. It seems Sarai Mitnick, the owner of Colette patterns, has left Instagram. It is " too much of a time sucker" and just not where she is any more (paraphrase). Congratulations, Sarai! That's the best news I've heard all day. She voiced how unreal it all is and how she really didn't want to partake in that sort of artificiality, my word.  If ever I heard a millennial come of age, this was it and it was great news. You see young women like Gabby Petito get caught up in this stream of fake happiness and love  so much on social media. Sewists see perfect fit, perfect hair, makeup, even bodies,  just like the 64 year old previously mentioned. I know there are those who are not perfect but so many work so hard at being just that. It is sad. All to what? for what? My guess is it is just easier to click and post and be fake than to write anything in depth about what is important and really happening to you. Blogs take work and thought and if faked, don't last that long. IG? I can't do it either, Sarai. 

**************************************

The Saphhire Sewist inspired me so. She was not a great beauty yet she was stunning. She was not young or thin. She had the body of most grandmothers, yet the confidence of a winning beauty queen. I can't help but think that what brought her to this special place were her sewing skills. She said she designed her dress and made it all her self. . She knew her body, her skills and with that knowledge was able to make one of the most beautiful clothing presentations I've ever seen. Today we are bombarded by so many unrealistic images of beauty. It is disheartening to see it. It is even more disheartening to see it presented to my granddaughters and other young women I know. We need to do better and teach our  young women what real beauty is, that the flubby, full arms that have rocked them to sleep are the most beautiful in the world and that a talented use of a needle can make them the most stunning woman in a room no matter what their shape is. We need to fight those digital images attacking them day and night and teach them beauty of being a real woman, of being a Sapphire Sewist. Let's do that, for ourselves and them........Bunny


14 comments:

  1. Your blog is one of my favorites. Thank you for your thoughtful reflections, Bunny! Don't stop! Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Bunny!!! Now I want to see The Sapphire Dress! It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had pics but I kick myself for not remembering where and what platform I saw it on and when I couldn't get it out of my head and went back to find it, poof into the ethernet. It was so lovely.

      Delete
  3. I always love reading your thoughtful posts. The sapphire dress story is just wonderful and a truecelebration of our hobby. I have to say though I do find Instagram a good place for us sewists. If you find the right people then they celebrate all bodies, all ages, all abilities and all sizes. The #sewover50 and #sewover60 community is huge. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have. I just find my time on screen is self limiting and I pick judiciously where I want to be. I am not a fan of IG for various reasons and will leave it at that but once in a rare while check in. I listen to many sewing podcasts while I sew and whip around my house and many are the same people who get raves on IG and I do listen to the cast from Sewover50 and others. It's funny. IG and it's "stars" are referred to so much in the casts I listen to that I feel that I am quite familiar with them despite not seeing them. I have really been limiting my screen time lately. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

      Delete
    2. Bibliphile, Thank you for the hashtag hints for #sewover50 and #sewover60. I'm not normally a fan of IG for sewing but this might help. :)

      Delete
  4. Well said Bunny. This is why I sew, I cannot find clothes that fit RTW so I have spent time and money learning to fit me and what style lines will work best. Yes, sometimes I find very little from the Big4 pattern companies and other times there is lots. I buy when I find what I know will work on me and I am still learning new ways to adjust a pattern so it does work. I agree looking at the line drawings is a better way to sort thru the patterns rather than the photos of models.
    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Sometimes the designs are so hidden by busy prints or hair hanging over the shoulders toward the front or even ridiculous poses.This is definitely and all patterns issue, not just the Big 4. You really learn the real deal from the line drawings.

      Delete
  5. Hi Bunny, this is so beautiful. If you ever find the picture of this woman and her fabulous dress, do please post it! Or perhaps she will comment here:) Thank you for your blog and especially this post (plus your one about your prolapse which haunted me and then led me to a woman's physio 6 years post-birth... I hope you have got the help you need). From a long time lurker and admirer, who is happily taking 3 months off IG in the run up to the special day I can join the #sewover40 club. Thank you so much for taking the time to blog and share so many tips and opinions, Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Emma. Wow, so glad you sought help for your sitch. I am doing much better, not 100% but very close. It takes time going the route of my choices but I understand that. I am fully functional, physically and socially and that is all that matters. I did get the best of help and in the most timely manner I could have. Thank you for appreciating my opinions. Amazing how many can be attached to sewing or is it just my being noticing things and being opinionated myself? No matter. Congrats on the future milestone birthday.

      Delete
  6. Bunny, your blue sapphire lady sounds charming, and I will bet she has a beautiful laugh! I am glad she undertook this beautiful project; hopefully it will give me nerve to try another pretty outfit. I just need to lose some mid body fluff first so the hem hang nicely. Your writing is always inspiring! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...