Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, October 27, 2022

How do your Mondays go?

 With inspiration from other Menders and a basket of clothing staring me in the face every time I walk into my sewing space, I've decided to make Mondays into Mending Mondays. I am going to try and get at least one thing mended every Monday. Last Monday I fixed my most favorite corduroy pants.


They are about 6-7 years old, so very soft, warm as toast and a perfect hanging out winter pant. One spot of these pants, however, has aggravated the hell out of me for the past 6-7 years and I have finally fixed it. If you look in the pic above you will see that the waistband is cut on the bias. It is faced with another strip of corduroy, cut on the bias in the opposite direction. Those two edges, for some weird reason, met to form an edge that made a hard ridge that rubbed on my tender tummy and drove me nuts. I could only wear them with a tucked in top, almost always a turtleneck and I wanted other options. It may sound minor but I am not kidding, it was a hard rub from that edge and very obnoxious. I was ready to finally chuck what was an otherwise great pair of pants. I fixed it. 


 I took out my trusty box cutter blade and removed just the tops of the belt loops. Then I ran the blade between the two meeting seam allowances at the top of the waistband. I opened out the waistband and facing which were still connected to the pants and pressed open the seam allowances. I had a lot to play with. Inside I also found a totally failed interfacing on the band and facing. I wasn't going to worry about that and ripped out the disconnected pieces and tossed. 

I went searching for what I could use to soften that edge. I wasn't too fussy about what it looked like as my goal was to wear something outside and this was a hangout pair of pants anyway. I decided my best options would be something that would not have anything that would rub with loose threads but be tough at the same time. I picked out a piece of quilt shop quality cotton batik. They are so tightly woven and so very smooth, perfect. I cut a bias strip to go all around the waistband. I sewed it in a half inch seam allowance to just the waistband, leaving the facing free. I pressed that flat and trimmed very closely to the seam. I then pressed it  away from the pants , over the edge and trimmed and turned the edge over the  facing which I had trimmed to match. This was then triple zigzag stitched to catch everything in nicely.  One more piece out of the mending basket and I have my favorite comfy pants back!!! No more waist irritation!


Now I sewed the belt loop back on at the top and I am good to go! I am wearing them right now and nice and cozy on this chilly Fall day. 

***********************************************************************

My surgery went well. I have been able to sew after the first few days and it has been just the right amount and type of activity. I am housebound but hope to get the go ahead to drive when I see my surgeon tomorrow. I've been told I have a 6 week recovery but if I can get out as well as do my sewing while in all should be fine. We'll see what restrictions she comes up with.

I am full on with my winter sewing plans and so far have made:

* one pair straight legged simple no wale corduroy pants

* one pair pair tulip hemmed rayon ponte pants

* Three hats! What fun!

When up to it I will do a little modeling and posting on these. Going braless is not my best look and frankly feeling like crap shows.  Then again, there's always those pixles and filters on PhotoShop....................Bunny

9 comments:

  1. Surgery?! I fear I missed what it was for, hope nothing too serious. Anyway, I'm glad it's over with and you're starting slowly back at the sewing machine.

    Nice save on the corduroy pants, I don't know that I'd have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing crazy major. I'm doing OK unless the surgeon says otherwise tomorrow. I am way better than a few days ago and starting to normalize. Those pants were worth saving. Others, I wouldn't have bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bunny, speedy recovery to you! May your sewing also be satisfying and productive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without anything approaching your skills, and wary of the alteration services in my neighbourhood, I would have resorted to wearing a fine camisole tucked in, to 'pad' the area that rubs. Re "failed interfacing", wondering how that made it into the finished garment? Wishing you a smooth recovery, Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I think a lot of wearings and washings had this thin fusible just detach from the fabric and it was free floating inside. These pants are several years old. What always bugged me was why the bias waistband and facing. I don't think it added anything but that rubbing edge. I have worn these a lot but always with a tucked in turtle, lots of protection and now wanted to be able to just wear that turtle outside sometimes or a nice button up shirt. It works now and I'm happy. I really enjoy the satisfaction of mending at this stage of my life for some reason. Thanks for your kind comments on my recovery. I'm on my way!

      Delete
  5. Speedy recovery and well wishes from Indiana!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...