Sewing Vloggers

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

2024, Bring it on!

2023 was not one of the easiest years I've experienced. I am determined that 2024 will be better. I have lots planned with my sewing  and look so forward to sharing it with all of you. I haven't been blogging as much this year and lately but I've had a lot of life's interesting challenges intervening. That will change. Through it all, sewing has been my Northern Star. It all started with my middle of the night incident where my diaphragm was injured far more than I knew. What proceeded was a cascade of health issues that continues to this day. Throw in some surgeries, concussion, post concossion business, etc etc etc.  And of course, as soon as we are all over our humps, covid rears its ugly head. There was also tragic loss to deal but I am blessed with an amazing family, truly blessed. I am ready to be well and 2024 will be doing all I can to get back to gardening, and moving more and being my usual energetic self. The one thing I truly enjoyed, thru all this time, was my sewing.  I have numerous posts planned and some exciting sewing as well.  I'll share some teases here with you first. 

Another Imby top! No eye makeup. Blepharitis strikes!

I've invested in a couple of great PDF patterns and am excited to share all about those. Lord, I hate taping! But for a good design, something unique, I'll endure it. So, more to come there,  The two pattern companies are "Love Notions" and "Notches".  You know I am a thrifty type of a woman, so my pattern choices have to provide me with lots of opportunity for many makes to justify the price. I am up to my seventh "Eureka" pattern as of last week.  I've made two or three recently. 

Lady McElroy rayon challis

From patterns I jump to fabric. I did do a lot, for me, of on line shopping.  It is, by far, just a small amount compared to most, but I watched a lot of youtube and when vloggers start showing you their makes or start draping their purchases over their shoulders, it sells me better than any thumbnail out there. I had only one "off" experience but it was really a miscommunication x misunderstanding on both sides and was worked out beautifully in the end. So my fabric purchases online have been quite positive. I can't say enough about Stone Mountain and Daughter and there were a couple more as well. At this stage I definitely shop far far less and far more discriminately. I'd rather sew slowly, with thought, and with awesome fabrics.  I've discovered Lady McElroy. 

Harvested from a thrift shop find!!!

Recycling was on the agenda as well and there will be a post to show you a few of those. What fun! I think one in particular is fabulous, if I may say so myself. I have been very inspired by Vlogger "Catherine Sews", a textile professor who does really worthwhile recycling. Her methods quite surprised me and are not the "stick two shirts together' you see everywhere. She has great vision and the sewing skills to pull great results from old clothes.  I harvested this fabric above from one thrift opp and was quite pleased with the results. 

There were great notions purchased as well and I can't wait to share those. I am using them a lot.  At this point I have really culled my fabrics to some fine pieces. Many are just casual, like my favorite Essex Linen. You can never have too much of that hanging around. It can be made into almost anything! But there are other pieces that defy the touch of my hands. I have had this gorgeous piece of velvet for about 6-7 years now. It is a beautiful print.  My social life is good but it is different. I don't need a velvet suit, dress or blazer. But, damn, I sure could use a velvet Bomber Jacket. That is what I am working on now and what a challenge! With it's welt pockets, heavy rib knit cuffs and collar, I am definitely doing some slow sewing here. I can't wait to share with you all.  I can see it with some dark jeans and black cami or such.  It's been intense sewing. That velvet, however, has found it's place. I think I will get a lot of use out of it. 

I'll sign off for now. More posts coming and it's good to be back and sharing my passion.  Happy Sewing and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you, dear friends............Bunny






10 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you, Bunny, I learn something from all your blog posts. Good riddance to 2023. Cheers to yout 2024 sewing plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara. I think you will all learn a bit about the new notions. More soon, and thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always so nice to read through your blog. I can't wait to see what you have been working on and planning. Here is hoping your health continues to improve. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bunny. Great to see you back. Happy New Year. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Moosiemoose and Anon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... and also to thee. - LinB

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't wait to see the velvet bomber jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lot of process on this one. I've noticed every pattern company seems to have a bomber jacket. I wanted one with dropped shoulders, like the varsity jackets. Only Vogue had that and its so complicated! I'll get thru it!

      Delete

  8. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR LATEST BLOG. I ESPECIALLY APPRECIATED YOUR REFERRAL TO CATHERINESEWS. I LOVE IT! I'VE ALREADY WATCCHED 5 OF HER POSTS. HAVE YOU EVER WATCHED JSTERNDESIGN? ALSO WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I really enjoy Jennifer Stern, so knowledgeable and so down to earth and approachable. Thanks for the reminder. I try to watch her each week.

      Delete

Engaging commentary:

An Imby Plus Chiffon Upcycle! Can you translate Mandarin?

                   Pardon no makeup and eye puffs. Still dealing with blefaritis.  This top had  a story, as most upcycles do. First, I love...