Company is gone and today was the usual after company laundry and house clean up. Finally, after all the chores were done, I was able to hit the cave this afternoon. The miserable weather helped things along as well. This is where I am at this point:
The invisible zipper is in. It took me forever to match up this print on the back bodice but eventually I found a match hiding among the daisies. I used a zip that was quite longer than the pattern specified but that makes it easier to install. Once installed, the zipper is cut at the bottom and the end of the zipper is covered and hand stitched with a tiny piece of fabric. Once the zipper was done the piping was installed full length on the front and back of the dress. That was pretty straightforward. The sashes were stitched to the side seams and then the side seams were stitched and serged. We are talking bodice only here as the skirt widths are solid pieces that wrap from the back to the front. The seaming is along the piped edge and center back only. I also did my usual sash keeper and made sure I piped it this time. Thanks, Gwen, for that suggestion.
Next came the spaghetti straps. I cut one inch bias strips which I then folded wrong side out. I stitched these a measurement between an 1/8 and a quarter of an inch from the fold. As I stitched the strip, I slightly stretched it. The SA was then trimmed back to 1/8 inch. Using my tube turner I turned back the four strips to right side out. I then went to the ironing board and before I pressed each strip it got a good spray of water. Then I placed the hot iron down on one end and started pulling the other end as I pressed. I pulled and stretched and pressed simultaneously. This is where the stips get their nice Spaghetti look. Iron them while pulling until they are dry.
I have been managing most mornings this past week to get in a healthy half hour of sewing before facing the day. Thanks, Summerset, for egging me on.
Tomorrow, all I have left to do is put the lining in and the hem. Yahoo!
Last week I was able to work out in my gardens. During a visit, a guest broke the top of one of our birdbaths a while back. This week I painted a shallow bowl pot and made a rock garden out of it. I really like how it came out. I wasn't about to throw half a birdbath out! I used succulents, some stones, and a glass float. Reminds me of a miniature desert. .....Bunny
The Age of Aquarius has dawned with this bit of clothing fun! I am not sure what to call it. Is it overalls, culottes, a jumper, a culot...
A recent visit to the T hreads website had contributing editor and sewist extraordinaire, Kenneth King, offering a tutorial on how to hem ...
It hurts to look at these pants with the tight crotch and waist so tight it is pulling the zip. These must be great to sit in. I ...