McCoya's Bishop Completed!
Another first was to finally try making smocked pockets that were previously just figments. I was worried about the shape and I wanted a curved "bellows" effect. By cutting the bottom edge of the pocket in the shape of a boat or crescent moon, if you will, it came out just the way I wanted. It did take some fiddling to get it to lay right and puff but ended up as imagined. So now I have another tool hanging from the tool belt. Yippee!
Another first was using that new "Cotton" method of making double fold bias with no bulk at the ends. Wow, am I happy with that technique. Move over tools, another needs to hang on the belt. I highly recommend you try this method.
Next, and while not new to me, I am pretty sure it is the first time I show this on the blog. Take a good look at the back closure. I am using hair elastics for the button loops. They are caught between the dress and facing edge. This pattern doesn't call for a facing, but folding the SA to a mere 3/8 inch width twice, the usual "heirloom" way. Sorry, I don't like that., just not quite wide enough for me. I cut a strip of fabric, fused it to Formflex, put the elastics in between, and stitched it at 1.0, backtacking at the elastics. They are in there nice and tight. Somewhere, maybe a dollar store, I picked up a huge bag of elastics in every color you could imagine and have used them many times. Give it a shot. It's easy. I do not like these buttons. Once they were all on I found them too big, perfect color and shape, but too big. So tomorrow I will see what the local JA's brings and change them out. After that it will be a pretty box and a big bow and off it goes.
Next, probably not till this weekend, will be finishing the Oatmeal jacket. I have to get that out of the way just so I can say I didn't waste my time on it. I know it wasn't a waste of time as it was my muslin. Then it is on to the next big adventure......Bunny