Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Next in the Queue - A Slipcovered Office/Sewing Chair



I am embarrassed to say I finally found my white matelasse bedspread right here under my nose. It was one of four layers of blankets on the guest bedroom bed. (It gets a little cold here.) I went to change the linens and saw it there. How did I miss this?  It quickly became a non blanket and future slipcover for my sewing/office chair. Don't tell DH I am cutting it up although by now he has pretty much seen me cut up just about anything that doesn't move.


Once again Pinterest provides the inspiration. Thank you, Pinterest! This chair is from "Cozy Cottage Slipcovers" and I think just darling. I want a longer skirt, however, as I use this chaired jacked up quite high. That's because my machines are at counter height and by raising the chair and having a box under my counter to rest my feet I am able to comfortably sew for hours.  I am not sure if I will do the bow on the back or a couple of rows of big buttons down the pleat. This design looks quite simple but here is my chair:
Check out the arm setup. It actually  would be quite easy to remove the arm and do a more upholstered type of cover but I want the ability to take it off easily and just throw it in the wash. I know it will get covered in threads and the occasional spilled cup of coffee. I like the heavy texture and the fact that it is very washable. I like the looser "slip covered" look but hope it doesn't look like a messed up bedspread after I have sat in for a few hours. I can see I will need to pull out my faithful Sunset "Slipcovers and Bedspreads" book. You saw me use it for Audrey's cushions.

Which brings up another dilemma - what about the welting? Do I want a contrast or do I want it all white OR do I want to do something like a ruffle instead, or a tiny pleated trim? Hmmmm....And do I want to use velccro to pull it all together or would some ties look cute? This is a great opportunity for some dressmaker details.  You can see this hasn't all quite gelled yet but the fact that I have the fabric now means its a go.

I have a large job for a client this week, one involving many uniforms, so this project will be hit and miss for a few days. I also have yet to put together my wall unit. Today I counted out and matched all the pieces up to the schematic. We are good to go. This thing is incredibly heavy and the idea of it hanging on the wall really scares me, I mean really heavy. The sides and top are substantial in a nice sort of way. While this makes them look great, it also makes them need some engineering to keep them all from falling on the floor. I sure hope my eyes weren't bigger than my stomach here and that my wished for unit works out.

Thanks everyone for all the congratulatory comments on the Threads recognition. Makes a girl feel good and is always appreciated. Congratulations to Cenetta, too, beautiful dress!   Now off to the uniforms....Bunny

9 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished product... and sitting on a nice quilt, now who wouldn't just love that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great repurposing project - I would lean toward the buttons as I find velcro picks up lint in the washer and dryer, and I don't always stick the two sides together before I toss it in the wash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really good point, Cynthia, that I hadn't thought of . Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a Great Idea, Bunny. We have a similar bedspread in our house, now I can just find a piece and cover it. Thanks, you always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea - I loved what you said if it doesn't move it gets cut up - you're a girl after my own heart.

    You could even put in some black piping to pick up up black and white theme. Look forward to seeing the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well my dear, you know what I am going to say. Go for the contrast piping and ruffles!! You will be thrilled with the result and I can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will be covering my chair this year (some time). I plan a redo of my area which I am sharing with the kitchen. So I will be watching your recover with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be a fantastic project to watch. Will you be using the scallop edge in your design? I love the soft scallops.
    Nonie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bunny, what perfect timing. I am have been mulling over slipcovering my office style sewing room chair. It hadn't occurred to me to look on Pinterest. Thanks for the ideas. I will watch to see how you design yours!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...