Sewing Vloggers

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Some Surface Embellishment, maybe....


Have you ever been on an Artist's Studio Tour? I have been on a few and went on one today that was really wonderful. The tours invite you (free)  into the studios of professional artists where you can discuss their work, see them working, and of course, buy their efforts. It is very inspirational and great fun. There is something about craft fairs that leaves me lukewarm the past few years. There always seems to be a sea of quilting cotton placemats for sale on myriad tables. And of course, what craft fair would be genuine without those Christmas elf crocheted toilet paper covers? Bless these people for working so hard at their craft but that type of thing just doesn't do it for me. Sometimes there are gems lurking at these craft fairs  but when they realize how talented and marketable they are, those artists jump on the studio tour bandwagon. I've never been disappointed on one of these tours as all the artists are truly professional and so talented.

Today I saw dyers, beaders, glass fusers, a young man who cut big blocks of linoleum into fabulous designs,  a couple of wonderful photographers, painters, print makers and more. It was truly inspirational.  Suddenly my purple wool jacket seemed a bit blah.

I think I have the fit worked out now with the FBA added and a swayback adjustment. I am also going to make the darts at the neck shorter which should give me more ruffle around the neck and not accentuate my sloping shoulders as much. I will also wear shoulder pads. Muslin #3 got darts and no darts. The no waist dart version hung much better on me as it did on the three other versions I have seen. I haven't seen anyone make it with the darts yet. I did add a bust dart in front as well but no waist darts will be found.


Another reason to catch one of these studio tours, if you can, is the refreshing jolt of creativity it gives you. My brain is totally refreshed and energized with ideas. Truthfully, the past couple of weeks I have been looking at my purple/blue wool and just thinking it is a sea of darkness. I've been toying with several ideas for adding surface embellishment to the jacket and today came home and played with my paints. What originally sparked me to think about painting or doing something to the fabric was this picture below of Sandra Betzina's jacket. She took out the darts and sleeve ruffles and  had this incredible fabric  that really enhanced the design. I've also noticed that all of the great versions I have seen of this jacket were prints. Who am I to argue with success?


I have this twig stencil and pulled out various types of paints to see what I would get. The one above is actually silver oil paint dry brushed on to the wool. I love painting fabrics with oil paints. I love oil paints and that smell of linseed can envelope me any time. For some reason the painting looks really clunky in the photos but it is really a finer design in real life. The one with the silver paint looks very natural, lets the wool not look painted and Hubs loved it. 


On this one I used Lumiere metallic turquoise textile paint. It was a bit clunky and I think would give a better print if I had mixed it up a bit better. I love these colors together. And last and least...........



This is white Jacquard textile paint. I mixed it with fabric medium and it really was too runny but that is why we experiment and do samples.

Which one will I pick? Not sure because I am also considering some non paint options for embellishment, maybe some fancy threads to serge the edges with or some couching. I'm still letting ideas flow and playing. I want this to be everyday wearable but not a sea of midnight. I will keep you  posted. The jacket is all cut out............Bunny


18 comments:

  1. Good for you, for getting arty with your jacket. I think printing it is a great idea, although other types of embellishment would also be suitable. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunny, I just love your art stencil. It has an oriental feel to it. I really like both the colours but I agree with your turquoise & purple combo. I too love these colors working together. I think it is a little more edgey & throws off more colour excitement to the eye. I do understand what you mean about watching professional artisans. I have never been on a art tour like the one you experienced , however my husband & I do have a Australian artist friend named David Hart (Pro Hart's son). He is amazing with paint. Even his flick board is gorgeous! How does he do that, I wonder !
    We are The proud owners of a David Hart painting. It is a small one of his iconic dragonfly paintings. I walk past it every morning & smile. David paints beautiful paintings of The Australian Life. I just adore his use of color, .
    I am so into your creative thinking way, too Bunny. I am excited to see what you create. You have me smiling -Art & textiles! Robyn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art and textiles are something I truly love putting together. It just really brings out my creative juices. I will see if I can google Hart's paintings. They sound lovely.

      Delete
    2. I just checked him out. I love his saturated colors. That has always appealed to me in a painting. Wonderful work.

      Delete
  3. I love the silver twigs on the purple--reminds me of a cold, clear winter twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Bunny, you go girl. The creative juices are flowing. Can't wait to see the outcome !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bunny, I thought you would like his work.
    Have you ever considered getting your own art work printed onto fabric? There is a place called Spoonflower in USA that prints up small amounts (1yd min) of fabric with your artwork on it. This is definitely on my list of things to do. I love that idea. Anyway, I look forward to seeing your 'sea of life project' creatively evolve for you, robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about it. Just not sure what I would print but if something hits me, I will. I did see some great hand dyed pieces this weekend.

      Delete
    2. Spoonflower is pretty cool. I got some custom fabric from them for a quilt. A soon as I reduce my stash (serious lol), I want to look into designing some silk fabric.

      Delete
  6. I love this and I like your silver print especially! I was on the coast of British Columbia last week, where my mom lives, and went on a studio tour. I understand what you mean by being overwhelmed by other people's creativity and also motivated to explore my own. Being able to contextualize the work with the environment and processes with which the artist works makes a huge difference. Here`s to artists!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bunny, Do you mean to say the craft fair did not inspire you to make furry toilet seat covers? No matching TP holder? LOL! I love craft fairs too, and the occasional artists are a real treat. I've never been on a studio tour, but it sounds like great fun! So glad you were able to go, and came home inspired. I really like the first pic, but am sure you will come up with something that's perfect for your beautiful jacket. Linda S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some more experimenting today, but mostly with edge finishes and stitches. I want to try a bit more painting but now feel like I am honing in on a "look".

      Delete
  8. So happy you decided to visit the studio and not opt for the craft fair!!! Love your experimentation and pathway for ideas. Twigs...so timeless and season-less unlike snowflakes or tulips or bells. Do you really own all those paint sticks? So much potential and fun just sitting in a glass!!!! Can't wait to see more, Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jo, I really own all those oil paint sticks, as well as maybe too many other types of paints. Oils do a beautiful job on fabric and can be easily heat set with vinegar. I've had great luck with them over the years.

      Delete
  9. I've been inspired to stencil fabric lately by the couture line Alabama Chanin. Natalie Chanin has published beautiful books detailing her materials and techniques, so it's completely accessible to those who want to put the time in. I've finished one dress with a reverse-applique shoulder and pocket detail, and am now working on drapey slacks with an allover appliqué design in the hip area. For the spring, I've got materials and the Vogue pattern for her Vena Cava collaboration...so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds lovely! I am not a huge fan of her style, too many greys for my taste, but I love how she is inspiring others to get out of their creative shells. I also think she is an amazing business woman. She definitely gets my props.

      Delete
  10. I found this and it reminded me of you new project: http://coutureallure.blogspot.com/2014/09/valentino-cape-1969.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these "coral" designs. Hard to believe that is from 1969 as I have seen a lot "coral" out there on the runways. Love it.

      Delete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...