Sewing Vloggers

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Drips and dribbles!

You all know my pledge to work on one project at a time. Right now I am concentrating on a memorial project for a life long friend whose son took his life last year. He was a handsome, passionate  man besot by depression since his early teens. I am trying to honor him and his memory with a textile piece  showing his amazing skill at his chosen craft and his passion for pursuing that skill. So that's where I've been with my sewing time. I will not share this as it is personal and private to my friend and just not mine to share. I  do feel I have captured his heritage, his love of the Asian cultures and his skill that was recognized internationally. I am very near done.

In the meantime I have had many thoughts of sewing, what will I sew next, what is the buzz out their in the sewing net, and more. I will pass this on and hope you find it interesting. I'd love to know your thoughts on any of my drips and dribbles!
***********************




I've seen a lot of talk lately about pattern weights. One FB page had people show their weights and there were all kinds, some funny, some clever, and some just utilitarian and isn't that what we just plain want anyway? 

I've tried all sorts of weights over the years and have two types both of which I equally love. What they have in common are a sensual smoothness that I really like to put my hands around, really heavy weight for their size, a large solid surface to lay directly on the fabric and they are just soothing to look at. One batch, what I am currently using now, are just big hunks of thick, smooth glass. People always ask where I get them. I get them at gift shops, yard sales and thrifts. Most seem to all have evolved from some sort of  destiny as a candle holder. The green square and the bright green circle were simply decorative pieces sold in gift shops. They are all heavy, smooth and work great as fabric weights. The long rectangle, my favorite,  is one of those things you would have to pry out of my hands. I put that one weight down on a grainline or fold line and I am good to go! 

The other group of weights that holds my heart  are my  beach stones. They are so very smooth, flat on one side, heavy, and all from Maine. My sis lived a block from a cove and beach for years and we would walk there and I always managed to bring back a few in my pockets for my collection. I think they are lovely and they remind me of my beautiful sister and the beauty of Maine, which I love. They are beaten so incredibly smooth by the ocean's power yet have only gained in beauty and function. An analogy to our lives? 

*******************************

I have decided to make my own mini pads. I know...........but this is a thing, way bigger than you might think.  I buy these by the skillions and when I think of them all going into landfills....I never used pampers with my kids for several reasons but that was also a concern at the time. Our country's leadership may think we are floating through space with no consequences for our actions but I believe there are and try to do my part. Every bit helps plus I am just tired of buying these things. I will do some experimenting first as I have received many great ideas and suggestions. You have no idea how many videos, FB pages, and websites there are to make your own fem hygiene products, really. This is a big thing out there. I think it would be just an afternoon project to make tons, from what I have read. Next, I buy these by the tons and they can be made from scraps. I would stick to natural fibers only but will experiment with some PUL as well. This is not to soak up big bladder issues or period flow, just that daily flotsam and jetsum we femmes deal with. Keep you posted. I figure this is a project for a snowy inside afternoon this winter.  A special thanks to my sewing and blogging friend, Kathy, who sent me some PUL, which I had no idea what was, and I  greatly appreciate her kindness. She has an amazing Etsy shop you may want to check out. Her skills are impressive.

**********************



I am in love with this pattern, Vogue 1642, which I think is a new release. There is so much  detail in this top, side seams with zips, that awesome neckline, those almost cargo pockets. Suggested fabrics are wool and fleece and I have so many wools in the stash that would work. The only issue I have with this type of garment, raglan, is getting the curve of the should right but I think a muslin and a couple of slim shoulder pads  will take care of that.  I have a yummy boucle that I think would get more real world wear in this top than in the Chanel jacket it was originally destined for. It's 100% wool and from Fabric Place in Natick, Mass.



******************************

I have really been on a fabric painting binge and love doing just that! Just two weeks ago our twin grandchildren came for a few days and we did tie dye and what fun that was!  I have been haunted by this garment for some time and have everything to make it and paint it, except the pattern. 

This would definitely work into my lifestyle and be great for work and tooling around the house. I have a great stencil I can use and some dark wash denim for the overalls. My issue is the pattern. I have the Burnside Bib pattern which I love but that has a very defined waistline. I also recently purchased the Rosy the Riveter pattern from Simplicity and  that is not what I want either. 

I would like an overall with no waist like the one above, loose and happy. This would not be my going out of the house looking well dressed outfit, but something fun I can wear around the little boys I am with every day at work. They would love it, especially if I painted flowers on it  and so would I. Any pattern suggestions greatly appreciated. I came really close to making the Rosy the Riveter coverall but looking at it on others made me realized it fit like Carhardts or even ski pants, a full loose butt for movement and slim legs to keep the cold out, so quite functional but not very  flattering. It works great as a costume but that's not what I want.  I'm still searching and all help appreciated. 

************************ 





I was so thrilled with my one Dye na Flow paint experience that I bought this grouping.  I really look forward to using more of this product. (no affiliation, as always). I have so many ideas! I also purchased 4 yards of white linen on sale this week to play with my paints so we will see what comes of all of this.  60% off plus 20% overall, can't go wrong! I always stock up on linens at season's end, best time to buy.

*******************************
 I am REALLY tired of sewists blaming pattern companies for what is often their own lack of skill.  Most who have been sewing a long time will be the first to tell you they don't know everything. You can sew a long time and still lack skills and you can also be an incredible newbie sewist, striven to learn and open to every opportunity there is to learn so this is not cast upon a particular group of sewists. There are so many resources out there for quality help with sewing for all of us, whether longtime sewists like myself or newbies. And there is always asking. Please don't assume it's the designer, the pattern, the grading, whatever. Sometimes it is,  but go on a forum and just ask, don't assume. Many are eager to help unravel your dilemma in a positive manner.  I have seen so many blame fests turn into the realization that a bit of knowledge was all that was needed to make things work. 

Over and over again I see a sewist slamming a pattern company for being just horrible, having bad instructions, never fitting, when they do not do their own due diligence to make sure the pattern works. This is not just a Big Five thing. It happens in Indies as well. One of the biggest misunderstandings out there contributing to this is the concept of ease. That alone deserves it's own post and there may  be one coming but there are other things as well. Matching seams and truing them is another. And how about just buying the right size? I know it's tough when there is no one teaching us things until we get frustrated enough to just blame but let's just ask more and make it our business to be better informed.  

All skills require learning, practice and mistakes, over a period of time, to master. Ask a wood carver, a plumber, a baker. Nothing any of us do will come out perfectly in the beginning. We have to pay our dues, put in our time, make our mistakes, take responsibility, seek knowledge and move forward. We move forward by not blaming, by seeking more experienced help, taking classes and respecting those who are good at it. This goes for any craft or trade. I have a good friend who is a master plumber and we have great convos on just this subject. We need to recognize that  even after doing something for decades, there is still something to learn and still mistakes to be made. Let's stop the blaming. Yes, pattern companies are not perfect, but neither are all we sewists.  I know I will get the but , but, but, and yes, I know what you are going to tell me. But it's a two way street. Sewing is Fitting. Sewing is Pressing. Sewing is Learning, and it never stops no matter how long you have been at it or who you are. ........Bunny



11 comments:

  1. My favorites weights are definitely my beach rocks. Some are from a trip to Maine 32 years ago. The beaches on the North Fork of Long Island out near Orient Point is an excellent place for finding beach rocks. I have quite a few of these too. They are smooth and perfect for fabric weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder how many eons it took to get them that smooth. They really are beautiful and the pics don't do them justice.

      Delete
  2. I'm starting with your last comment first and you get no buts from me. Yes there are some poorly drafted patterns but even with a little skill and determination you can make them work if you want to.

    For your overalls have you thought about merging two patterns to get what you need? I'm not an overalls type of woman so I have no real suggestions except that I keep seeing the Amy jumpsuit as the bottom and maybe a more conventional overalls pattern as the top?

    Finally thanks for an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought of this and even putting them together myself but right now I've just returned to work and hubs and I are playing beat the season with getting our home all painted before the cold hits. We are painting it ourselves and it's taking all our energy and time. I do think with some thought I can pull this together either from some franken patterning or just on my own but I am hoping to find a simpler way. Thanks for your suggestion and glad you enjoyed the "dribbles".

      Delete
    2. Oh, I do love the back of the Rosy overalls and would love to connect that to some pants but the closures are challenging.

      Delete
  3. The Yanta overalls from Helen's Closet might be close to what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check them out, Renee. Thanks so much.

      Delete
    2. Just checked them out. They are cute but I really would like some sort of waist definition even if it is large and unfitted, something the stitching would indicated was a waistline.

      Delete
  4. I just realized in the post I said I wanted no waist but in my reply said I wanted one. Well after looking at lots of overalls, I think what would like would be a "faux" waist, one that is delineated by stitching but that falls freely like the one in the picture. The more I think about this overall obsession the more I think I can scramble something together on my own. Keep ya posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bunny, can't believe your post. Incontinent pads are in my que for next sew also. I have researched patterns and products, bought my Zorb and PUL (learned new vocabulary). I also dug out all the flannel scraps that have been just waiting for a project ! What's holding me up is clean up. I think back to diaper days and that bucket sitting in the tub waiting for wash day and I think I don't want to go down that road again but I will for environmental reasons !!. It's really not a great thing to be putting a "leak" pad into the land-fill every day. So, I am very anxious to see what you come up with. Thanks for all the great posts and keeping our enthusiasm and our expertise elevated !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really getting into the weeds here but that is good. This is a talk free zone, as long as we are fair about things. Back to pads, luckily I don't need them for periods or incontinence yet. I guess I am in an in between phase. I am looking for more of a mini style and have been doing a lot of research. There will be lots more on the blog about this. Not sure I would want to deal with heavy period pads but for my needs these minis sound like a great option. My MIL was one of seven sisters. She told me stories of how they each had their own "rag bucket" in the closet in the days before Kotex. Ugh! Can you imagine? And from what I understand it is a serious issue in underdeveloped countries and charities make these for distribution.

      Kathy, I want to do a tessalated pattern so I don't waste. Sewing these one at a time is a bit crazy. From what I am seeing I may make my own pattern. Keep ya posted and thanks for your input.

      Delete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...