Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, April 6, 2023

My Azorean Inspired Floating Scarf

 


I was inspired to make one of these scarves from the minute I saw one in a designer boutique in Punta Delgada in Sao Miguel in the Azores Archipelago last summer. The scarf and all that this designer showed  was so intriguing. While I could not come near making any of her other very unique offerings (more later), I could attempt this unique scarf. 

Well, it's just a pashmina, you say. Not quite. First let me tell you of my inspiration. It starts with the islands of the Azores. They are verdant beyond belief but not tropical. Lush foliage and exotic plants abound wherever you go. Life is simple and most people farm or fish. There are more cows than people and the cows are everywhere. So are the thousands of blue hydrangeas, every imaginable shade of blue, with big giant mopheads. They line the roads, walkways, just everywhere and are breathtaking. It is a photographer's paradise. In my research I found that the designer of the Azores Collection, Isabel Roque, collaborates with a photographer. He captures this breathtaking paradise and then the two of them work up his photos into fabric which Roque then designs into simple garments, incredible bags, and other small accessories. She had masks, headbands, you name it. I thought her creativity really shown in her bagmaking. Most of her work consisted of photos of the Azorean flora and fauna printed on viscose, which really fooled me into thinking it was silk. These photos were sometimes made super gigantic . Check out this simple apron for a typical example. 


But her bags are her real star, printed on viscose and permantly pleated into tiny litle pleated squares, so hard to describe and so beautiful, very very unique. The facebook page for My Azores Collection will show you some of   their work. 


Back to my scarf! This boutique was in the airport in Punta Delgada. I saw the scarves on a rack and started trying them on and loved them. They consisted of  solid pashmina type  foundations. On top was another rectangle made from the silky viscose chiffon, again with a fabulous bit of photography. I made note  that the rectangle panels all seemed to have high contrast images, no small prints are anything blurry or confusing. These photos were loud,  clear and sometimes assymetrically placed oversized versions of what was captured, stunning.  After my try on binge I went and wrote down every detail I could about the scarves as I knew I would make one.  I noted seam types, sizes, placements, etc. The most important aspect of the scarf was that the silky rectangle panel "floated"  above the surface of the foundation's solid base. The sides of the rectangle were open and the top and bottom were stitched down with hidden stitches. I am not going to give exactly how to make this. While I could and do have it all written down in great detail,  I just don't think it would be right to pass that along on the internet for the whole world. I think it is something else for one person to see a piece of great clothing and attempt to emulate just one for themselves but not dissect it and pass that along on the internet so you won't get much more from me. I respect this designer's creativity too much and really admire what I have seen of her work. It is so fresh.  


The effect is when wearing the scarf, o the chiffon panel appears to just float over the surface as you move around. 


I can't tell you the wonderful comments I have recieved when wearing this scarf. It does go well with my frumpy Toaster dress and black boots. I think  the most critical part of the project is finding the right chiffon. Mine is actually a poly I ordered from Emmaonesock. I used the wrong side for the public side as  you can see above. I think that adds even more intrigue. My base is a Donna Karan pashmina I picked up and really never wore. I have now been wearing it a lot. I am thinking of doing something similar with linen and rayon for the summer. We shall see!!!  It wasn't easy finding the right sheer yardage.  I think this one could work beautifully.  It is from EOS and much in tune with the originals I saw. 



I hope you enjoyed this little trip across the ocean to my inspiration story and it's result and  maybe even give it a try. It was a really fun adventure to make and see if I could pull it off. I think I did.    Happy Sewing...................................Bunny

6 comments:

  1. You look absolutely stunning with your Toast dress and that inspired scarf/shawl. Very inspiring. And divine! What are the dimensions of your Pashmina?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pashmina was 72 by 24. If I made it for myself, I would have gone 70 inches, my go to length for scarves.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  2. Seems like you might have the designer's name wrong? Not Marita Moreno, but Isabel Roque seems more likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into that. That is what came up with in my research. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. You are absolutely right! My mistake. It has been almost a year since our trip to the Azores and I confused my Portuguese names. I appreciate your correction as this designer deserves recognition for her unique designs and I so appreciate her inspiration. I will adjust the post.

      Delete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...