Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

McCoya's Bishop Completed!

One more bishop under my belt but this one had some new twists. For the first time I used variegated floss, something I will definitely be doing again. I have learned that it will be much more effective on a solid than a print, however, and that the print and various floss coloration can contribute to a look of "imperfection" for lack of a better word. But I am very happy overall with this little dress, and even happier that I have beat out McCoya's birth which is due NOW.
Another first was to finally try making smocked pockets that were previously just figments. I was worried about the shape and I wanted a curved "bellows" effect. By cutting the bottom edge of the pocket in the shape of a boat or crescent moon, if you will, it came out just the way I wanted. It did take some fiddling to get it to lay right and puff but ended up as imagined. So now I have another tool hanging from the tool belt. Yippee!
 
Another first was using that new "Cotton" method of making double fold bias with no bulk at the ends. Wow, am I happy with that technique. Move over tools, another needs to hang on the belt. I highly recommend you try this method.
Next, and while not new to me, I am pretty sure it is the first time I show this on the blog. Take a good look at the back closure. I am using hair elastics for the button loops. They are caught between the dress and facing edge. This pattern doesn't call for a facing, but folding the SA to a mere 3/8 inch width twice, the usual "heirloom" way. Sorry, I don't like that., just not quite wide enough for me. I cut a strip of fabric, fused it to Formflex, put the elastics in between, and stitched it at 1.0, backtacking at the elastics. They are in there nice and tight. Somewhere, maybe a dollar store, I picked up a huge bag of elastics in every color you could imagine and have used them many times. Give it a shot. It's easy. I do not like these buttons. Once they were all on I found them too big, perfect color and shape, but too big. So tomorrow I will see what the local JA's brings and change them out. After that it will be a pretty box and a big bow and off it goes.
Next, probably not till this weekend, will be finishing the Oatmeal jacket. I have to get that out of the way just so I can say I didn't waste my time on it. I know it wasn't a waste of time as it was my muslin. Then it is on to the next big adventure......Bunny


21 comments:

  1. Oh, it is just so sweet! I love the fabric print, and the pockets are perfect. I've used that elastic trick on DD's nightgown closure, and I love it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lovely! I love the shape of the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely little dress. As alwaysk your workmanship is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress and the pockets were the perfect touch. I like the solid pink binding too. I felt as if I should be smelling lavender while looking at this pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is just beautiful, and I love the pockets too. Where did you find the instructions for making the bias tape "Cotton" method?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shirley, that method for the bias I picked up on Nancy Zieman's program last week. Scroll back two posts and there is a tutorial on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Bunny. Somehow I missed that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! BEAUTIFUL WORK!
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  9. bunny it is just beautiful!!! I love your little smocked pocket idea!!! entered you in my drawing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bunny, your bishop dress is adorable. When I finish some of my projects, I'm going to make one and put pockets on it too. Also, I'm going to try your bias neck edge. Yours came out perfectly. Gita/Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the dress! The fabric is really pretty. I like the variegated thread and I agree that it would be really pretty on a solid color, too! I think the pockets are adorable. I've used hair elastics as button closures before, but I hadn't thought of using them on a little bishop like this. I may use that idea on the two I'm working on right now. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every little girl needs a dress just like this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very, very sweet and just says, "Spring!".

    I love the elastics idea. It would work well for adult clothes, too, since the buttons tend to be larger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous! What perfect work. The dress looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This pretty little frock reminds me of a Monet watercolor, Bunny!
    You are such a perfectionist...I think the buttons work just fine! I will be keeping an eye out for some cute ponytail holders, too. The stretch factor in them might give a few extra months of comfortable wearing to an outfit. :)

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your little dress is so pretty and I love the pockets.

    I have been sewing(taught by my mother)since I was about 8. But didn't get into smocking until my youngest was born. I'm not very good at the french handwork, but I loveit and try to put touches of it on some of the dresses I make.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a beautiful dress! You make me wish that my daughters were young again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely dress, Bunny.
    There was a pattern for pockets very similar to these "back in the day", but I can't remember who the designer was. I'm pretty sure I either have a pattern with them, or a magazine with an article and pattern. On the elastic closure, will you put a tiny snap at the very top? I've seen these used, I think it was on a "Sewing with Nancy" episode also. I probably would have never thought to use them on a bishop, but I really like it!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...