Sewing Vloggers

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cushions #3, Welting

The past several days the focus has been on putting up more vegetables for the winter. The two previous days were spent roasting tomatoes and other goodies down to a sauce and bagging them up in the freezer. DH and I love "caponata" so today I roasted a couple trays of tomatoes with all the tasty goodies again but also the addition of cubed eggplant and capers, yum! I've been using fresh herbs from the garden as well and have to say these roasted sauces are incredible. DH and I sat and gobbled up the sauce with ritz crackers it was so good.

Back to sewing:
 At this point the two large cushions are all welted. To turn neat corners an inch short of the corner I would dial down the stitch length. Then, with a pencil, I would draw a line from the cord to the raw edge one half inch short of the corner as you can see above.
  That pencil line is then snipped to within 2 threads of its meager life. Once that one is snipped do two more snips, one  a half inch to the left and the other a half inch to the right of the first snip. It helps to have your needle down. Now, line your edges up and stitch around the corner. I don't do a sharp 45ยบ corner, instead opting for a slight curve around the welting. It just sort of naturally happens so don't over think this too much. One inch past the corner dial back up to your normal stitch length which by the way, is longer for slipcovers than garments. I am sewing most of this at a recommended 9 stitches per inch. I dial the corners down to about 12-14 stitches per inch.

The next issue with welting is how to start/ finish the ends of the strip. You should start putting on the welting at the back of the cushion. Start sewing at least one inch from the actual end of the welt. Sew the welt on all around the cushion and one  inch short of the end stop, needle down, foot up. On the ending welt open up the welting and undo the stitching to reveal the cord. Cut the cord only so that it matches right up with the cord of the starting welt. Take the fabric of the ending welt and fold it under 3/8ths of an inch. Slip this under the starting welt so the two inside cords are butting heads with each other. Fold over and stitch the welt down using a smaller stitch and some back stitches. It should look like this:

I have purchased zipper coil and pulls and will be making the two very long zips needed for the cushions. I purchased shorter zips which will work for the bolsters fine as they are so thin. So that is the next part of the process.

Cissie, aka "Design Dreamer", asked if I could show the "ski type" zipper foot. You can see it in the pics. It has a screw in the back so the foot can be moved to any place you would like left or right of the needle. It is wonderful for zippers and welting and why new machines don't automatically come with one of these anymore, who knows!

Tomorrow I will be roasting and skinning peppers for preserving in a brine, at least I think I will use that method. We have quite a few peppers but I may supplement with some from our Amish neighbors. Their produce is all organic and so big and beautiful its amazing. I will leave you with a shot of one of the trays of roasted caponata:
 

Bunny

8 comments:

  1. Your post came at perfect timing for me as I'm covering a couple chair cushions and wondered about making a clean corner turn. Thanks for the info and all that gorgeous looking food - yum!

    Karen in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!! the caponata looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, Amish neighbors are a good thing!
    And thanks for the detailed instruction on sewing the welt to the cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That caponata looks delish!! And your cushions are looking fab! I hate making welting but it makes the cushions look wonderful. I can't wait to see your finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *drool* I know those had to taste DELICIOUS! I've never added my eggplant to the tomatoes...I always do them separately. I will try it your way next. My 9 eggplant plants are producing like CRAZY!!!! ~~big smile~~ I give away a few but not many.

    Great tips on turning those corners & finishing the ends. I always forget about decreasing the stitch length.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the tip about double stitching the corners on the welting, I love my adjustable zipper foot, the only one I use. Caponata looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bunny!
    I figured that was the type of foot you were talking about, (never had heard it referred to that way however) just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on some new fangled foot!!
    Your food is looking divine!! On your roasted tomatoes, do they taste like sun-dried tomatoes? Sound yummy. I found out a short time ago that youngest dd LIKES sun-dried tomatoes!(and 2nd youngest dd thinks they're OK) who knew? DH has VERY mundane taste buds, so it's always a nice surprise when one of my children actually like something even remotely "different"! LOL!
    Designdreamer

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...