Sewing Vloggers

Monday, June 23, 2014

Chanel and Jeans!


Just got in my samples from Banksville Fabrics. If you haven't used their swatching service and live far from really good fabric, it is for you! I called and requested samples for a Chanel cardigan. I told them what I had in mind and this is what they sent me. I swear, they  can read my mind! I love them all but want something I will wear a lot so the boucle on the right is the one. I am thinking that would look good with jeans.Hopefully that will get ordered today. Isn't that metallic on the left fabulous? Perfect for a summer wedding!


This black boucle is heavenly with it's patterned silk charmeuse linings. I so would love to make up a jacket in every sample they sent me! I asked for a silk lining and there are charmeuses and silk satins here. 



I will get my fabric ordered but this looks like it will be a winter project. The weather out is so incredibly perfectly summer right now but my sewing thoughts are starting to turn to winter!

******************************************

I am back to actually sewing, finally. My back won't take much more gardening. The yard looks good, guests are gone, vacations over and I am ready to go. I've started on what I hope is a pair of good fitting jeans! These have been a long time coming. I have been using the methods described in the Sure Fit Designs Jeans DVD.  Watch a little, try a little, a process that has been going on for a couple of days. At this point I think I have the sloper down with a tweak or two of my own.

I am a huge fan of Sandra Betzina's fly front zipper installation. If you haven't ever tried or seen her method, go to Threads and watch or click this. It's quick, easy and professional.  Using her method means I don't do the zip the way it is shown in the Sure Fit  DVD.

One thing that is shown in the DVD, that I love, is using a fabric stay across the tummy of the jeans. I will share how I do that at my next sit and sew. Why would you want a fabric stay across the tummy of the jeans? First, it will keep your pocket nice and neat. It will help it lay the way it should and prevent any peekaboo or popout of the underpocket. Next, according to Betzina, and I agree, it helps flatten the tummy. Some even do the stay in girdle type power net. I will be using a tightly woven something or other, hopefully a bit heavier than a muslin. Have you seen the jeans out there that "slim" your tummy area? This is the technique they use.

For the fabric, and because this is the first pair of jeans from this sloper, I will be using a dark print, not a denim, the better to hide any possible defects and still be wearable. The weight is the same so I think it will be a good bell weather of future jean efforts. I am putting in one inch side and inseams and will baste everything first to try the fit. But, once I get this down I should be able to whip out real jeans effortlessly (let's hope). On my first pair, I will have the rivets and jeans buttons. I need to think about pocket design, hmmm....How is your summer sewing coming along?.......Bunny



13 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been interested in that fabric stay technique, looking forward to your post.

    The fabrics are divine, I am positive the results will be worthy of such lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty fabric. I look forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Will be gorgeous with jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer sewing is crawling along for me. I don't have ac, I'm on the second floor with west facing windows and no cross breeze so it's very hot in my apartment. I work things backward. I do a lot of knitting in the summer while I sit by the pool, and less of sewing.I love your fabric samples. I can't wait to see your cardigan. Looking forward to seeing how you make the fabric stay. I needed that in the shorts I just made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the many years I sewed in dark, damp basements! I sympathize and don't blame you for knitting around the pool!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful fabric swatches!! And thank you for your link to Sandra Betzina's fly zip insertion. That is the way I first learned to do it years ago. It is very simple and straightforward. Just recently, though, I sewed a pair of trousers with all of the extra pieces for the fly. It took me a couple of hours for that alone! I do like the "facing" that goes between the zipper and the skin, so maybe I will use her technique with modification. Maybe skip the interfacing for that piece, and still have the facing. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me. Only thing is I have noticed on RTW pants that that piece is not interfaced and it seems to crease in the wash. It sort of drives me nuts that I can't get it to press flat. I think the interfacing would help that. But this is me not liking how something unseen looks. You don't have to be that fussy.

      Delete
  6. I love all of the fabrics! My summer sewing: working on a shirt for my son, and a big sewing weekend coming up, with a fancy baby dress and a silk ribbon reticule.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bunny, there is drool all over my keyboard just from looking at those luscious fabrics...OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What yummy fabrics. How can you not pick one of each??

    ReplyDelete
  9. The black boucle left off the page for me. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...